Thread: BLACK SHADING For Dummies & Experts

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    Getting back into Red in 2017, it would be fantastic if someone could do a short paragraph or two on Blackshading for DSMC2 so I didn't have to go through 18 pages to see what ha changed :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    The only difference is the addition of auto blackshades. Normal black shading is the same on dsmc1 as it is for dsmc 2.

Yes exactly. I don't know anything about them and they sound like black magic.

Pros and Cons? Methodology?

Anyone know if there's a specific post that covers it?

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Yes exactly. I don't know anything about them and they sound like black magic.

Pros and Cons? Methodology?

Anyone know if there's a specific post that covers it?
    When you black shade in DSMC2, it now prepares one profile that covers all frame rates / shutter speeds combos for that lens. You only need to black shade again with that specific lens if you are going to an extreme change in the shutter speed (slower than 1sec, or really quick) or if you are changing the optical path (filters, etc.). Another possible time to re-blackshade would be an extreme change in camera temp from when it performed the blackshade.

It shouldn't have any relation to lenses.... or filters or OLPFs for that matter.

Blackshades care about temperature and shutter angle, and should be done with the body cap on so the sensor is in complete darkness. You're just mapping the response of each pixel when it's not exposed to light to try and remove the sensor's inherent noise from the final images.

Temperature and shutter angle change each pixel's noise characteristics, nothing else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Maier View Post
    When you black shade in DSMC2, it now prepares one profile that covers all frame rates / shutter speeds combos for that lens. You only need to black shade again with that specific lens if you are going to an extreme change in the shutter speed (slower than 1sec, or really quick) or if you are changing the optical path (filters, etc.). Another possible time to re-blackshade would be an extreme change in camera temp from when it performed the blackshade.
    Thanks, but why does the lens matter to the temp/shutter speed if the calibration is done in black?

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Shavlik View Post
    It shouldn't have any relation to lenses.... or filters or OLPFs for that matter.

Blackshades care about temperature and shutter angle, and should be done with the body cap on so the sensor is in complete darkness. You're just mapping the response of each pixel when it's not exposed to light to try and remove the sensor's inherent noise from the final images.

Temperature and shutter angle change each pixel's noise characteristics, nothing else does.
    Ah right, as I thought.

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

hi guys just a quick question...as I balckshaded my camera few days ago after the firmware update, tomorrow I am goign to update the new firmware, do you think is necessary to balckshade again? As I will be in the same enveroment working where I balckshade few days ago....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Volpe View Post
    hi guys just a quick question...as I balckshaded my camera few days ago after the firmware update, tomorrow I am goign to update the new firmware, do you think is necessary to balckshade again? As I will be in the same enveroment working where I balckshade few days ago....thanks
    I'm guessing yes, because when I updated my firmware to the IPP2 Preview build, it notified me that my calibration was invalid and had to blackshade, or words to that effect.

Super helpful! Mark thanks for this, and helping clear up the confusion.

Cheers,
    Ade