Thread: BLACK SHADING For Dummies & Experts

Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca Volpe View Post
    hi guys just a quick question...as I balckshaded my camera few days ago after the firmware update, tomorrow I am goign to update the new firmware, do you think is necessary to balckshade again? As I will be in the same enveroment working where I balckshade few days ago....thanks
    I'm guessing yes, because when I updated my firmware to the IPP2 Preview build, it notified me that my calibration was invalid and had to blackshade, or words to that effect.

Super helpful! Mark thanks for this, and helping clear up the confusion.

Cheers,
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    Yup. You should be all good. I would just double check that your T/E meters are green. If so, then, with the sensor cap on, crank the ISO up to 12800. If you see an even pattern of noise then you are good! If you see any weirdness pop out from the noise, then you know the blackshade was imperfect or maybe even incorrect. For reference, on my camera, if I crank it to 12800 and see a blue artificat that kind of looks like a flare, I know I need to refresh my blackshade.

P.S. Just a heads up for those who don't know, the file name for each individual black shade has all the relevant metadata for the blackshade. It'll start with the shutter speed (or auto if it's an auto cal), then give the temperature, then the date and time of the calibration.
    Excellent advice. Thank you. How many passes should I perform on the manual black shade? I believe it allows You to choose up to 4

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    No worries! Glad to be of help!

And I normally use all 4 black shades, set to different shutter speeds or temperatures.

Meaning I'll have one for 24fps, one for 60, and one for 96, and then either a second 24 FPS at a different temperature, or 120fps if I think I'll go higher than 96.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."