Thread: pegasus vs. Areca 8050T2

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    This was my first RAID setup and it was easy at least in my opinion. But good review!
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

I have reached out to them about upgrading the existing TB RAID but haven't heard back from them yet. I am hoping to catch someone from CineRaid at NAB.
    Local 600 DIT

The ARECA sounds great. I really like the idea of running Raid 6 to have the security but still get high speed and very big storage.

Now, in my company we are 2 and sometimes 3 that are working on our material at the same time. How do you guys deal with those situations?

We have these different things we work with most of the time:
    - different parts of a movie project in FCPX (so 2 people can edit on a movie at once, one in the begining and one in the end for example)
    - the event library (only one can work on this, you could split it up).

Any ideas for multi people setups would be great. We dont need super speed but the normal 1Gb network speed seems to slow for most situations.

Best wishes!
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

The ARECA sounds great. Thanks for the review Helmut, very helpful!
    I really like the idea of running Raid 6 to have the security but still get high speed and very big storage.

Now, in my company we are 2 and sometimes 3 that are working on our material at the same time. How do you guys deal with those situations?

We have these different things we work with most of the time:
    - different parts of a movie project in FCPX (so 2 people can edit on a movie at once, one in the begining and one in the end for example)
    - the event library (only one can work on this, you could split it up).

Any ideas for multi people setups would be great. We dont need super speed but the normal 1Gb network speed seems to slow for most situations.

Best wishes!
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

One issue I'm having the the Pegasus2 on the nMP is that when the system is sleeping, even with power-nap disabled, the RAID will occasionally wake up for no reason then shut down in a moment or two after it realizes it's supposed to be asleep. This may have been doing it before, but I was having other sleep issues related to a few different monitors and didn't fully investigate everything. Now that the monitor issues seem to be fixed with yesterday's 10.9.3 seed, I have this RAID issue. And it seems to cause a system crash every now and then too. I've sent off a report to Promise.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

It's a device issue. I had the same problems with my lacie RAID and it drove me apeshit since it would start going spastic in the model of the night.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Jeff, you mention that the non-enterprise Seagate drives use a special firmware in the Promise Pegasus RAIDs. Is there any reason why those drives couldn't be used in an Areca enclosure (or any other)? My Pegasus R6 took a tumble and doesn't work (beware the newbie PA who doesn't strap carts in properly), however I think the drives are fine. I am hoping to move them over to Areca since Promise doesn't sell empty enclosures. Thanks for the help!

Johnny, drives should work alright, but there's only one way to find out. Test them out individually to make sure they're working before installing in the Areca. Not witnessing how bad the tumble was, and especially if the RAID was powered-on with drives spinning when it happened, I would probably pass on re-using the drives. Just increasing the chance that they could fail under critical use. OTOH, drives can be jostled about pretty good when the RAID is originally shipped to us and we have no way of knowing how hard the box or palette may have been dropped at some point during shipping. Remember, testing a hard drive only tells us whether or not it works at that moment. If it passes the test, there's no guaranty that it won't fail when you go to copy files tomorrow. ;)
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yes, I will plug the drives into my tower this weekend and see how they're doing. The RAID was off when it took the hit, was scuffed on the outside. It would power up orange and show thunderbolt icon, but nothing else. A peek inside looked good until I saw where the "motherboard" met the card connected to the drives, and that had split the slot. So, fingers crossed the drives are OK.

Mostly, wondering if Promise's "special firmware" only worked specifically with Promise hardware/software. I wouldn't expect it to, but good to get some added confirmation. Thanks again.

I have three Areca and my experience has been very positive. Yes, it took a bit of time in the beginning to set-up, but great after that.
    I found this as well and it looks promising, clearly it's not out yet but I'm curious what Jeff thinks. I seem to keep accumulating RAID systems and I'd rather simply swap out drives and use the same chassis.
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10622