Thread: pegasus vs. Areca 8050T2

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    That 1U LaCie RAID looks pretty cool. Only down side I see to it is that it's a LaCie. ;)
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

The Lacie looks incredible... until you realize it is 30 inches deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny S View Post
    The Lacie looks incredible... until you realize it is 30 inches deep.
    And made by Lacie.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Marchionna View Post
    And made by Lacie.
    Really, do you think Lacie is that bad? Man, I really like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pontecorvo View Post
    I have three Areca and my experience has been very positive. Yes, it took a bit of time in the beginning to set-up, but great after that.
    I found this as well and it looks promising, clearly it's not out yet but I'm curious what Jeff thinks. I seem to keep accumulating RAID systems and I'd rather simply swap out drives and use the same chassis.
    This DAT Optic unit has a built-in Areca RAID controller and 12 tray-free, tool-free bays. From the photo those bays seem to use the same model of hot-swap rack we've used in a couple of Windows towers here, and you can indeed just swap entirely bare drives in and out of those in a few seconds.

Pretty tempting, although I'm not sure how much I trust the "quiet" claims.
    DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve. You should follow me on Twitter here.

Really, do you think Lacie is that bad? Man, I really like the idea.
    Unfortunately I really do. If Lacie put as much effort into their hardware components, as they do into bragging about a product being designed by Porche, they'd have some winner. Instead it's usually sub-par controllers and drives inside a slickly designed box, then sold above real market value.

I like the idea of a 1U rack, but man...from Lacie? Yikes. A lot of us have been bitten by Lacie's products, so I'm super wary of them, as are others. It looks like it's still purely in the hype phase of that 1U rack (no product photos just some so so computer renderings) so who knows, maybe it'll be good. But I bet the drives it comes with aren't equal to the premium they're charging. Might be time to just build another 8050T2 for my cart.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

I appreciate your insight, I don't have much experience with LaCie other then their portable drives. I do like the Areca 8050T2 because it's pretty quiet.
    Does anyone know where I can get additional drive trays for the Areca 8050T2 ?

I share Isaac's opinion of LaCie. I have never been happy with *ANYTHING* of theirs I've ever owned. Have no interest in buying anything else from them ever again, even though they do occasionally come along with a nice idea. Seriously though, I could build a 1U Thunderbolt RAID with off the shelf components for less money and I would put ATTO Thunderbolt modules and an ATTO RAID controller in it. Or buy a Magma Thunderbolt2 rack mount expander with drive bays in it and add your own ATTO or Areca RAID card and throw the thing.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I appreciate your insight, I don't have much experience with LaCie other then their portable drives. I do like the Areca 8050T2 because it's pretty quiet.
    Does anyone know where I can get additional drive trays for the Areca 8050T2 ?
    MacGurus sells them. They are an Areca dealer. I got my ARC-8050 from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Hogue View Post
    MacGurus sells them. They are an Areca dealer. I got my ARC-8050 from them.
    That's just what I'm looking for, Thanks Patrick.