Thread: pegasus vs. Areca 8050T2

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Jeff, we went for the R8 Pegasus 2 24TB and this should be with us tomorrow so I'll keep you posted on how we get on with this, especially in terms of any sleep issues.

All we need now is a decent 4K monitor and we're good to go

Scott
    Midas Media
    www.midasmedia.tv

I previously owned a Promise Pegasus R6 18TB, which I was very happy with. The Pegasus got damaged and I swapped the drives (Seagates) into an Areca 8050T2 enclosure and added 2 more. The Areca is much louder than the Promise, mostly because of the power supply (same brand as Promise but different model). I swapped out the rear 2 fans, which helped substantially with noise (Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 92mm Silent Fans), and I added some sound dampening foam (not sure if it helped any though). Noisewise, it is now fine for on set work.

The Areca has been rock solid, even with less than superb drives (non-enterprise Seagates) and under extreme conditions (nearly 100 degrees). So I'm happy. I would have gone for a Promise again if they sold an empty 8 bay enclosure. The Areca isn't as user-friendly, but is still simple to set up. I don't think anyone will go wrong with either one.

I have all sleep options turned off, and still running 10.9.2, so haven't experienced issues there.

I've got the R4's and 8050's and haven't experienced sleep issues with 10.9.2. The nMP running 10.9.3 hasn't really been hooked to an 8050 enough for me to recognize it being a problem so it could be having issues with sleep for all I know. I'm not a heavy "sleep" user though on the machine using the Promise stuff so it's hard to tell how consistent things are.

Personally, I prefer the customization of the Areca but turn-key can be nice. Given the fact that Promise is using non-enterprise hardware though I feel like there's an unnecessary drive premium given the current costs on 4TB is now $175/ea. The Lacie package deal, however, seems promising. At $2600 that means you're paying significantly less than an 8050 with 3TB drives even at Amazon-type prices. I'm very tempted but prefer a 32TB option. Can you swap in your own with Lacie hardware?
    Post-Production Editing, Color Correction, and Finishing
    Cincinnati, Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Dubai, UAE

Our Pegasus 2 24TB unit arrived today and is now attached to our nMP. By default this unit is set to raid 5 but I'm wondering if raid 6 may be a better option?

Generally what raid are you using - raid 5/6 - the Pegasus offers lots of different raid setups but I'm unsure which way to go?

Best wishes

Scott
    Midas Media
    www.midasmedia.tv

RAID 5, and mine's been a champ for the past 3+ months. Love this thing.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Thanks Isaac

That's good to hear, our unit is doing it's thing and setting itself up in raid 5.

From what I understand, raid 5 allows for 1 drive failure but raid 6 covers us for 2 but at a cost of less storage space and also a slightly lower speed performance. I'm wondering as the raid is extremely fast and we have lots of capacity, whether raid 6 would be a safer option and better protect our data.

I plan to order up a spare 3TB drive from Promise to have on the shelf in the event of a failure. The unit uses Seagate drives and their failure rate seems higher than others which makes me slightly nervous!

I'm also planning on pulling out a drive and fully testing this before I trust it on paying projects.

Best wishes

Scott
    Midas Media
    www.midasmedia.tv

RAID 5 is the best balance for me. I have a spare drive in my safe if need be. That feels like the best trade off of speed and safety.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

I know there isn't much Lacie love on this forum but I'm giving the new 20TB 5big Thunderbolt 2 a try. I get it next week. I'll let you know how it works out.

as far is RAID 5 vs 6, i prefer RAID 5 because of the speed and storage. The likelihood of two drives going down at the same time is small, and if two did go down, it would likely be due to an environmental factor that may affect all drives simultaneously, making RAID 6 a moot issue.

Just make sure you have a backup of any post production work more than a day old on a secondary storage medium so that if the whole system did go down, you'd only lose a days work. When dealing with ingesting production material or storing source files that are not replaceable, never let there be fewer than 2 copies on two different devices, though I like to have 3 just in case.

What stripe size are people using on the Areca TB2 ?

What drives are peeps using ? :Looking at WD RE to HDST UltraStars

s
    --------------------------
    MatteBlackFilms
    Space Digital Visual Effects & Post Production

Raid 6 is more robust to raid volume corruption than raid 5. That is really where raid 6 has it's advantage. Drives fail over time far more than they fail immediately which often causes corruption. The extra level of parity allows the controller to repair parity errors if parity scans are run periodically. Raid 5 volumes have collapsed to this. Rarely does a raid 6 volume have more than some corrupted files if this occurs. The archive process in place and turn around times really decide which is more ideal for the client. Centralized storage should always be raid 6 hardware raid or equivalent/better software raid.