Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Does latest REDCINE-X PRO incorporate GPU acceleration?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Does latest REDCINE-X PRO incorporate GPU acceleration? 
    Potentially a silly question, but does the latest version of REDCINE-X PRO incorporate the GPU-acceleration features of REDCINE-X PRO Beta, or is the latter still a totally separate version? Will

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Red Team
    Hi Will,

Yes, version 22.3 is a release version and incorporates OpenCL GPU acceleration.
    Version 23.1 is a beta version and incorporates CUDA GPU acceleration.

Thanks,
    David

I'm wondering if this GPU acceleration is available in programs such as resolve 10 as well or just redcine-x for now?

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Red Team
    Just RCX for now :)

David

Just installed an AMD R9 280x card to replace my ageing GTX 285 card and my transcode rate at Full debater dropped from 6.3fps to 5.9fps. On paper at least the AMD card is way superior to the GTX but thats not reflected in Redcine 22.3 performance. I assume this is either an issue of Driver efficiency or RedcineXs ability to leverage the cards? Could anybody with a crystal ball and/or computer knowledge suggest if its better to go back to the GTX card or leave the AMD card in and hope that Open CL drivers get better?
    Tom Gleeson

6.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #6  
    Tom,

We had an issue with AMD's drivers that caused pretty dramatic speed decreases. That issue has been fixed in the 23.2 and 23.3 Beta releases, but hasn't made it into a support release yet. Just make sure you're on AMD Catalyst Driver package version 13.12 or later.

Probably a dumb question to ask:

Does this mean we can get Red Rocket level performance out of our regular consumer high-end cards? I'm sure they aren't OPTIMISED for this but do they get much closer?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H View Post
    Probably a dumb question to ask:

Does this mean we can get Red Rocket level performance out of our regular consumer high-end cards? I'm sure they aren't OPTIMISED for this but do they get much closer?

Cheers!
    Ify ou have an octacore or Dual CPU system yes. If you have like a 3930k like I do, it'll be only "almost real-time" 4k. The CPU is still important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Ify ou have an octacore or Dual CPU system yes. If you have like a 3930k like I do, it'll be only "almost real-time" 4k. The CPU is still important.
    So my 12-Core Mac Pro coupled with a pretty good GTX is a worthwhile combo? Happy I haven't upgraded to the trashcan, yet!

Grant,

I am running my AMD R8 280x in a 2008 Mac Tower. I assume the AMD Catalyst Driver package version 13.12 is a Windows package only? Would you advise differently running these cards on OSX?
    Tom Gleeson