Thread: DaVinci Resolve 10.1.3

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    One man's limitation is another man's skill. If I can get there, I'm perfectly willing to walk the walk. Trust me, I can do it fast enough you won't even notice during the session.

One of my occasional quips in color-correction sessions with DPs happens when one shot grossly sticks out from a group of others, and I laugh and say, "well, that's why the knobs move." We fix it and move on. Tweaking the tint in an R3D isn't necessary if you have skill and experience and know what you're doing. And... there's always the chance stuff is just plain shot wrong, and we have no choice but to fix what's there and bypass what should be the "correct" adjustments. I can spin trackballs a lot faster than painstakingly select numbers in a white balance display or tweak a tint balance.

But: I'm the first person to also say there are many paths on the way to doing final color finishing, and it doesn't matter as long as the results are right and you get it done on time and within budget. It's a credit to Blackmagic and the Resolve engineers that they continue to provide us with many, many alternate ways of making great pictures.
    Skill cannot overcome the technical and mathematical limitations of a medium. Not fully learning how new technologies work and staying stuck in the past in not "skill" - the fact that you were doing this 20 years ago does not means you do not need to learn how new things work - the two are not related. Color temperature cannot be "wrong" if shot on RAW - merely saying that to me suggests you should spend more time learning. There are knobs in redCone X that work just as fast as trackballs. Not sure why you are so defensive of a workflow that is technically inferior by 100% of knowledgeable accounts and will always give inferior results.

As good as your results might look now, with proper workflow they would look visibly better. Your skill, experience and talent plus perfected expanded knowledge would likely be a very powerful combination.
    Last edited by Robert Ruffo New; 03-22-2014 at 12:15 PM.

"Rob Ruffo New" in a past life ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUsYPD9f2ww
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    "Rob Ruffo New" in a past life ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUsYPD9f2ww
    Yeah I'm blunt, but always 100% honest so when I say something nice I actually mean it. Call it an East Coast attitude. You'd be surprised at who many people have thanked me for being honest with them. Perhaps they were able to hold a more complex and layered idea about what constitutes a good and helpful person than what is possible for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    Yeah I'm blunt, but always 100% honest so when I say something nice I actually mean it. Call it an East Coast attitude. You'd be surprised at who many people have thanked me for being honest with them. Perhaps they were able to hold a more complex and layered idea about what constitutes a good and helpful person than what is possible for you.
    100% honest is not the same as 100% accurate.

". . . than what is possible for you." . . . ahhh yee . . . that Ruffo dickish flare always shines through

Maybe the upcoming "Rob Ruffo Series III" user account will be opinionated without the personal jabs in every paragraph.

Cheers Mate! I'll buy you a drink if going to NAB. I'm originally from NYC so love to hang with meatballs like you ;-)
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

I notice today, 4 days after release, the Mac App Store is still showing 10.1.2. How long does that take to update?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    ". . . than what is possible for you." . . . ahhh yee . . . that Ruffo dickish flare always shines through

Maybe the upcoming "Rob Ruffo Series III" user account will be opinionated without the personal jabs in every paragraph.

Cheers Mate! I'll buy you a drink if going to NAB. I'm originally from NYC so love to hang with meatballs like you ;-)
    You can't blame me for reacting like that to your youtube post.

There was a computer error which led to my original account getting deleted. If you look around you will see I have lots of nice things to say too - and helpful things. I'm just blunt. I don't see why it would be helpful to someone to not point out that they are using a poor workflow.

Anyway, Resolve GPU debayer is still crashing my system.

You can't blame me for reacting like that to your youtube post.

There was a computer error which led to my original account getting deleted. If you look around you will see I have lots of nice things to say too - and helpful things. I'm just blunt. I don't see why it would be helpful to someone to not point out that they are using a poor workflow.

Anyway, Resolve GPU debayer is still crashing my system.
    So we going to make nice with a cocktail at NAB or are we going to cross-thread snipe at each other? Hug it out Brother!!!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

I've never actually installed from the App Store; does it, in effect, auto-update or do you still need to manually uninstall/remove the old version from the install package?

The App Store has optional auto-update settings. There is no need to remove the old version when updating, whether using the App Store or normal download version.