Thread: New Graphics Card

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I bought is at a retailer store, did a LOT of research online, and made some software modifications that is allowing me to use it as is. It is EVGA SC (super clocked), and then installed an important piece of software needed ( "web drivers" ) which allowed the Mac to recognize it using Mavericks.

I will go for the flashing and modification once I am done with the current documentary I am working at. It will allow to
    use it natively within both platforms, PC and Mac.
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/

So your running a plain store bought card with out any flashing... wow

where do you find the software "web drivers"?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Otero View Post
    Go with the GTX 780 SC, PC version. Then use Macvideocards to flash and modify it for only $200 and you will have CUDA, OpenCL and OpenGL. More than 2K CUDA processors. I have it, and I cannot be happier with the real-time performance on my Resolve, Premiere, etc... You do not even need a RedRocket to get the real-time performance.
    The problem with the 780 at 4 Gigs ( as far as I know) is that it is a double card, so effectively you then have only 2Gigs RAM per GPU - not enough to do a lot of things in Resolve. Titan is a better move.

GTX 4 Gig 680 is also very good, and faster on single GPU apps (like Premiere) than any double card.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nordin View Post
    Hi Luis,
    That's a solid endorsement for the 780 SC. Have you run into limited memory problems with temporal NR?
    Cheers
    For sure you will have problems. Guaranteed.

Tom,

Just do a web search on CUDA web drivers, and you will find it. PM me so I can give you more detailed information offline. Do not intend or want to shift this thread in a "you said, he said" one. It is rock-solid working even with complex nodes in Resolve; that is a fact. During my extensive web search I found out that there are many colorists already using it since last fall with some issues, but based on NVIDIA support, they are working now rock solid. CUDA, OpenCL and OpenGL. I can use the Filmconvert OFX within Resolve, which can be switched CPU or OpenCL. Before I used to get 5-8 FPS. Now I get between 20-24 FPS when I use it.

BTW, mine is 3GB RAM based, but it comes in a 4GB flavor, too. The difference is the amount of CUDA drivers jump over previous generation: it has over 2,000! The previous version, GTX 770 comes with 2 and 4GB versions, but only has 1,000+.

The reason why I will modify it as soon as I am done with this project is that I want to be able to use it as a fully Mac native card to avoid POTENTIAL driver conflicts in the future. But based on my readings, it seems that NVIDIA has reached a point in which their drivers are becoming almost universal.

Hope this helps!

NOTE: I used the best technical advise anyone can get here from our own Jeff Kilgroe, which I regard as the best sounding board at this cyber community. His advise is always technically wise and fact based. I appreciate all advise and every single one of his postings; it always has render me the best technically-sound results. This one has not been an exception. I appreciate that he pointed me toward the GTX 780 as a feasible, workable solution. He advised me that not everyone has had a positive outcome; I feel one of the lucky ones. THANKS, PAL...!!!
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Hannigan View Post
    Is it possible to run this card in an expansion case over TBv1?
    I do not see why not, but would like to defere the final advise from Jeff, which I asked him to stop by this thread in order to get the best technically-sound point of view.
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    For sure you will have problems. Guaranteed.
    Will report when/if I decide to use NR on the shots I alluded to before. So far, not just no problem experienced, but have seen big improvements all around with this card using it as GUI and GPU at the same time. Now I have an extra PCI slot for other card, such as the OWC hot-swappable SATA and USB 3 adapter. Have heard great things about it, and will give me more connectivity options.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the GTX 780 has 4K display support over HDMI and DisplayPort. The DisplayPort will give you more options in high refresh rates than the HDMI output. I have not tested this since I am waiting on my 4K display.

Now the push is to have NVIDEA to modify their drivers to support 10-bit output. Based on what I have been researching, there is no reason not to have this available. They support it for the old Quatto cards, and this new generation has no limiting hardware that will prevent it. Quite the opposite, they are better suited with the latest technology.

VERY IMPORTANT FACT: you can run this card with current power offered by the Mac tower. Other options, such as the Titan flavor, will require to acquire an external power source.
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nordin View Post
    Hi Luis,
    That's a solid endorsement for the 780 SC. Have you run into limited memory problems with temporal NR?
    Cheers
    Paul,

I just did an EXTREME NR (a la Singer's Superman) where the person, specially skin tone looks so flawless, plastic, with a lot of Botox, and the performance during playing was REAL-TIME (23.97). Not a single memory error reported by Resolve.

Hope this helps!
    Luis Otero

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

Thanks for running that test Luis! There is nothing like actual hands on experience. I have a Cubix with 2- GTX285s and keep holding off upgrading these GPUs waiting for a clear price/perf winner to replace them with. I am still doing fine with the 285s & RedRocket card. But that will all change once my Epic-M gets Dragonized, and if I want to use some of the newer Resolve features.

www.EMBStudios.com

Epic-M 567