Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NAB 2014 - SCARLET DRAGON

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grossien View Post
    Crop factor is a very relative term. You always need what you refer it to. I assume you mean FF 35 still camera format?
    This tool will nonetheless answer all your questions, you just have to dial in what your reference frame is, first.
    http://www.red.com/tools/crop-factor
    Yeah, But it would be so nice if we could get a real FF camera (use the whole censor) in 2k, 3K, 4K, 5K & 6K without crop

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik Ahlefeldt View Post
    Yeah, But it would be so nice if we could get a real FF camera (use the whole censor) in 2k, 3K, 4K, 5K & 6K without crop

:)
    Yes, but I guess that will never happen :)
    Only way to do that is to add an external recorder and grab the SDI out.

Since you can always scale down in post and the whole higher frame rate deal is based upon cropping the sensor, this just doesn't make too much sense in a RED sense. You would only save some rendering time but loose cropping possibilities and the option to reconform in a higher format.
    Something witty this way comes.

Crop factor is a very relative term. You always need what you refer it to. I assume you mean FF 35 still camera format?
    This tool will nonetheless answer all your questions, you just have to dial in what your reference frame is, first.
    http://www.red.com/tools/crop-factor

And yes, Scarlet and Dragon have the same sensor.
    Yes!!
    Once one understands that Full Frame (FF) term can be applied to different sensors of different sizes and that
    FF 35mm Still is different from FF RED Mysterium-X is different from FF RED Dragon sensor, then, as Patrick said, the best visual explanation is available on http://www.red.com/tools/crop-factor

Yes, but I guess that will never happen :)
    Only way to do that is to add an external recorder and grab the SDI out.

Since you can always scale down in post and the whole higher frame rate deal is based upon cropping the sensor, this just doesn't make too much sense in a RED sense. You would only save some rendering time but loose cropping possibilities and the option to reconform in a higher format.
    I know, but it could be so nice to shooting slow-mo without these crop factors, and get 1:1 instead of 1:3.5 - but I was hoping that RED had get rid of that with the new updates, but Im dreaming ;) thanks for the updates, I think it still will be the Epic for 4K and slow-mo for best result and less crop factor :)

Ulrik

The pricing seems a little bit messy. The upgrade for epic or scarlet dragon is 9500, but the scarlet dragon brain is 14500 and the epic brain is 17500. Seems a bit weird.

I hope the 2KHD option of the new Scarlet Dragons are:

-2560x1440 or
    -2048x1152
    Scarlet-X #2439

Red is finally geting there sh#t back together!
    wannabe red owner.

Banned
    This will totally destroy the Epic Dragon rental market, or our ability to even charge much of anything for the rental of our Epic Dragon cameras on our own productions to our clients.

Thanks for simply putting us out of business by June. Yet again Red kicks those who give them their money in the head. $9500 Epic Dragon upgrade is looking like a really stupid investment at this time that no one will ever be able to recoup.

If anyone says I should be a charity for no budget filmakers, and happy to have my income decimated because some guy I never met can now shoot his no-budget indy film with a better camera I will scream. I'd rather pick my own charities (and actually I give a lot to many - but things like this make it harder for me to be able to afford to do so.) not have Red Inc. impose them on me.

Indeed Sam, pricing not only messy but just a total mess that makes no sense at all.

This is also a big kick in the head to those who skimped and saved to upgrade to Epic, mostly to get Dragon sooner, and now their market competitors will have a Scarlet Dragon maybe even before them, for way less.

Oh sorry, in this forum one must only say GO RED!

So I will say GO RED!!!!

Any news on timelines? The Epic upgrade program does not seem to be going super smoothly or in a timely fashion.

If new Scarlet D bodies start shipping in summer (or maybe fall or winter to be realistic), how long will it take for people to get their upgraded Scarlet X -> D bodies done? This time next year maybe?

In which case it's obvious the best way to go is to sell Scarlet X and buy a new Scarlet D with a proper warranty and likely 6 - 12 months sooner than the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    This will totally destroy the Epic Dragon rental market, or our ability to even charge much of anything for the rental of our cameras on our own productions to our clients.

Thanks for simply putting us out of business by June. Yet again Red kicks those who give them their money in the head. $9500 Epic Dragon upgrade is looking like a really stupid investment at this time that no one will ever be able to recoup.

If anyone says I should be a charity for no budget filmakers, and happy to have my income decimated because some guy I never met can now shoot his no-budget indy film with a better camera I will scream. I'd rather pick my own charities (and actually I give a lot to many - but things like this make it harder for me to be able to afford to do so.) not have Red Inc. impose them on me.

Indeed Sam, pricing not only messy but just a total mess that makes no sense at all.

Oh sorry, in this forum one must only say GO RED!

So I will say GO RED!!!!

Haha, very good point ;)