Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NAB 2014 - SCARLET DRAGON

Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Please explain?

Funny, the guy looks like he's going to drop this light weight camera, haha
    http://www.newsshooter.com/2014/04/0...ion-4k-camera/

I like this camera a bit retro in design (looking) not bad price point (the Cion above ).

Weights in less than Scarlet /Epic.

But does it have the DR of Dragon ?
    Last edited by Mike Garrick; 04-07-2014 at 03:46 PM.

I am not sure if this will actually happen. Most houses in NY won't even stock Scarlets to begin with. I had to basically beg everyone repeatedly to even get my camera placed anywhere, and even then I still had to make it into an Epic to do so. Even with Dragons out for what a year now technically I have had no decline in rentals as of yet. As for the future, I'll let you know if your prediction comes true but my money is on the same thing happening my first time around, which is no one wants Scarlets simply because Epic is the known big brother model... I shit you not they can shoot 23.98 all day and still refuse to rent a Scarlet, its just the way producers think, nonsensical lol

PS I also would like to think Dragon upgrades will hopefully all ship prior to Scarlet Dragons being sold on the open market as non upgrades, but that is up to Red. If it really becomes an issue and I am months and months away I'd grab a Scarlet Dragon myself to add to my rental kit, but I am sure no house will want me to place one with them

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    This will totally destroy the Epic Dragon rental market, or our ability to even charge much of anything for the rental of our Epic Dragon cameras on our own productions to our clients.

Thanks for simply putting us out of business by June. Yet again Red kicks those who give them their money in the head. $9500 Epic Dragon upgrade is looking like a really stupid investment at this time that no one will ever be able to recoup.

If anyone says I should be a charity for no budget filmakers, and happy to have my income decimated because some guy I never met can now shoot his no-budget indy film with a better camera I will scream. I'd rather pick my own charities (and actually I give a lot to many - but things like this make it harder for me to be able to afford to do so.) not have Red Inc. impose them on me.

Indeed Sam, pricing not only messy but just a total mess that makes no sense at all.

This is also a big kick in the head to those who skimped and saved to upgrade to Epic, mostly to get Dragon sooner, and now their market competitors will have a Scarlet Dragon maybe even before them, for way less.

Oh sorry, in this forum one must only say GO RED!

So I will say GO RED!!!!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #135  
    This will totally destroy the Epic Dragon rental market, or our ability to even charge much of anything for the rental of our Epic Dragon cameras on our own productions to our clients.

Thanks for simply putting us out of business by June. Yet again Red kicks those who give them their money in the head. $9500 Epic Dragon upgrade is looking like a really stupid investment at this time that no one will ever be able to recoup.

If anyone says I should be a charity for no budget filmakers, and happy to have my income decimated because some guy I never met can now shoot his no-budget indy film with a better camera I will scream. I'd rather pick my own charities (and actually I give a lot to many - but things like this make it harder for me to be able to afford to do so.) not have Red Inc. impose them on me.

Indeed Sam, pricing not only messy but just a total mess that makes no sense at all.

This is also a big kick in the head to those who skimped and saved to upgrade to Epic, mostly to get Dragon sooner, and now their market competitors will have a Scarlet Dragon maybe even before them, for way less.

So I will say GO RED!!!!
    I am missing your point.

You think that a Scarlet Dragon is going to perform better than your Epic Dragon? Yes.. Scarlet Dragon is going to likely beat every other camera out there on the market... but not the Epic Dragon. Epic Dragon has higher framerates, lower compression ratios, and alot more horsepower, just like the original Epic vs. Scarlet.

Jarred

I think he is bummed on the price relative to specs, but the reality is no matter where things come in spec wise you can't please them all you know? I really don't think Scarlet will kill Epic rentals, if anything the fact there are now a multitude of 4k cameras that in itself may reduce market share of Epic rentals. But I personally think of rental gear as stocks, you want diversity to begin with, eliminates risk of being too heavy on one brand. So if one brand isn't booking by all means own a few is my plan. That way you can always have the hottest cameras around, regardless of branding or ecosystem
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]I think what Rob is worried about is people having Dragons in their Scarlets before he has one in his Epic. So he's not saying Scarlet Dragon is better than Epic Dragon, he's saying Scarlet Dragon is better than Epic-MX. I can understand that, as part of the reason I upgraded to Epic was that I thought that might get me a Dragon sooner. Not sure if I had any good reason to think that and I do find myself questioning that move, but such is life. My Epic is still badass anyway :)[/COLOR]

So I will say GO RED!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I am missing your point.

You think that a Scarlet Dragon is going to perform better than your Epic Dragon? Yes.. Scarlet Dragon is going to likely beat every other camera out there on the market... but not the Epic Dragon. Epic Dragon has higher framerates, lower compression ratios, and alot more horsepower, just like the original Epic vs. Scarlet.

Jarred
    You could also say GO GREEN on "this" forum
    All my Dreams will be "Shot on Red"

First post from Jarred included this "Starts to ship when we catch up a bit on existing uprades...likely June". I there any information on when Scarlet upgrades are likely to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Probst View Post
    Not that I'd ever trade my Carbon Dragon... but this is the best deal for a camera on the planet!
    I don't know why this isn't being touted as the most monumental announcement at NAB14...

I'm so happy I held onto my DSMC Side Handle & V-mount plate when I sold my Scarlet. Blackmagic was a fun ride (most of the time), but I pity the fool who believes Red has poor customer support & a shoddy OS. On top of that their communication is unparalleled compared to other manufacterers.

I'm coming home bitches. I'm coming home.
    Director / Cinematographer / VFX

Website - www.ryanlightbourn.net
    Instagram - instagram.com/ryanlightbourn
    Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
    IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871