Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NAB 2014 - REDRAY IN STOCK

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlev Eller View Post
    i agree ... 3 desktop screens trump 2 in efficiency, though ... :-)))
    Agree. But with the new Mac pro you pretty much are restricted to 2 x 2560 or a single 4k monitor.. Which makes size even more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Detlev Eller View Post
    i agree ... 3 desktop screens trump 2 in efficiency, though ... :-)))
    or 9:-)
    Attached Images
    http://www.GTsai.com
    http://fuzeti.com/
    DSMC2 Helium 7572
    "Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War
    "I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it...
    And so do I "-EA

Does the REDRay support gapless playback? Also is it possible to do fades between shots? We're looking for a device to drive a quad display system and are currently going through a PC plus some custom software written to handle the transitions. But if it supported gapless playback of multiple clips we just might be in business with the perfect solution for them.

Also is there an API/SDK for remote control over Ethernet?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    The reason I will get it is for a simple and straightforward playback of finished projects.
    No need to tieup a workstation and high-performance storage.
    No hick ups half way through the screening.
    Plus I can take it (along with a projector) and screen stuff pretty much everywhere.
    As all projects I work on finish in 24P or 30P - the lack of HDMI2 is not a deal breaker...

Peter
    If you are happy at 30P or less, then thats just fine -- redray is a good transportable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Agree. But with the new Mac pro you pretty much are restricted to 2 x 2560 or a single 4k monitor.. Which makes size even more important.
    Bummer! ...
    I always thought the effortless multi-multi-screen handling to be a big plus in the mac world (among other things, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by George Tsai View Post
    or 9:-)
    hehe ... that´s pretty much how it looks around here, too ..... LOL
    coupling 3 screens per machine .... or 1 .... never 2, makes me nervous!!! ... LOL

to me, the physical separation helps (a lot) with focus and organisation of the screen space ...
    with every screen having as much resolution possible, of course ...

taking that away, is taking away a major usability + workflow efficiency plus

hmmm.

However (since it is going OT):

Looking forward to get a REDRAY Player sooner than later ... :-))

Quote Originally Posted by jon honeyball View Post
    ... Redray will now gather dust, which is disappointing. ...
    Wanna sell it? How much you want for it?
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

I agree with everything you just said except for this one above.. explicitly in terms of computer desktop use.

For years I have been a dual 30" side by side guy. The increase in efficiency ( at least for me ) of having more physical area with high resolution is hard for me to go back on.. in almost all applications. Larger area afforded by gains in resolution to me is fantastic.
    I'm in agreement, with that. I've used dual 30" setups for years as well. Ever since Dell and Samsung first shipped a 30" display. I guess what I'm trying to say is that adding more desktop real estate by adding more pixels is simplistic solution, but not really all that we need. I think what we're all really looking for is a combination higher DPI with moderately larger screens. I don't foresee multi-monitor setups going away. Or not until we get some other revolution in terms of UI design or can project images straight onto our corneas.

42".. I'm telling you, is a really nice size. I am glad they are keeping that one alive. Samsung has one of them coming you need to try out. Seiki makes a 39" monitor that is in the same ballpark but the quality just isn't there for anything serious.
    After buying the 50" SEIKI, I couldn't get myself to try the 39". I understand they're trying to hit a price point, but jeez. I can't wait to see the 42" Samsung and I believe LG has one coming somewhere in the range of 40". But ultimately, I think when desktop monitors are really going to get awesome is when they break away from UHD/4K resolution and go for even more pixels. A typical smart phone or tablet is 285 to 350 PPI and people hold those about 1 foot closer to their faces on average than where they sit in front of typical computer monitors. I think desktop monitors need 250 to 350 PPI as well.

I also agree with you the 2:1 wide displays are nice. Hope that trend sticks, even though if you understand how panels are currently cut to make all these sizes it's not the most efficient of ways to divide the large blanks. It does however give manufactures something to do with column fall out at the edge so maybe it cancels out the yield loss.
    Hard to say. Although, if the wider sizes become more popular, the fab process and blank sizes can be adjusted and scaled to match. And still there's quite a bit of promising newer tech coming along that can change all of this. Some of the OLED films that can scale to arbitrary shapes and sizes, for example.

The one thing I am mildly concerned with these curved displays up close is the perception of geometry... I am starting to second guess what a square is supposed to look like, but it's a bit premature to raise a flag, it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want one for any serious design work or modeling/ CAD use. :)

You can run 3 x 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. I've done it. Currently I have mine running 1 2560x1600 30" and the 24" Dell 4K @ 2160 60Hz. Need OSX 10.9.3 to get the DP 1.2 MST 60Hz support… I've been wanting to run dual 2160p @ 60Hz, but haven't had two of them here at the same time since before the 10.9.3 seeds.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Hi Jarred, I have a small concern. Will we have .red in 25p, and the player be capable to playback 25p content? If not, Will Redcine X convert in a good way 25p material to 24P ? I shoot mainly in 25P (pal country) and this is sort of a big deal for us. Thanks!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Can the REDRAY Player play back @ 30fps? The specs show only 23.98 and 24fps but some of the posts suggest it can handle 30P.

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I

You can run 3 x 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. I've done it. Currently I have mine running 1 2560x1600 30" and the 24" Dell 4K @ 2160 60Hz. Need OSX 10.9.3 to get the DP 1.2 MST 60Hz support… I've been wanting to run dual 2160p @ 60Hz, but haven't had two of them here at the same time since before the 10.9.3 seeds.
    Sure you can you can do it.. but you are using almost all your bandwidth if you do so.... so no Rocket card, no Storage options over 1000Mbps.. etc.