Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NAB 2014 - REDRAY IN STOCK

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Radim Schreiber View Post
    We do most our stuff in 30p and the new specs state only 24p. Is 30p something that will be firmware upgradable or will there be another RED Ray with higher frame rates in the future?

I would like to know as well.

When is the RRENCODE plug in going to be available?

How are people with RedRay Players currently encoding content for the player?
    Is there a desktop playback tool to watch your RRENCODE files for QC?
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

http://www.minefilms.com

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography / Drone Pilot /
    Writer / Director / VFX / Grading & Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by roryhinds View Post
    When is the RRENCODE plug in going to be available?

How are people with RedRay Players currently encoding content for the player?
    Is there a desktop playback tool to watch your RRENCODE files for QC?

I can answer a few of these.

I think we were told at NAB that the RRENCODE Plugin is coming back to the store soon. When you purchase a REDRAY you get a single license immediately. You enable the plugin through a version of REDCINE-X Pro via the Plugin Manager.

There are instructions included with how to setup your REDRAY exports using the RRENCODE Plugin that are fairly straight forward. Specifically in terms of setting up a helpful panel in RCX to attach a preview thumbnail and audio files to image sequences or your .R3D timeline. Currently it supports .R3D, TIFF and DPX sequences. Might do more, but that's what I'm using.

There currently isn't a desktop application for QC purposes. The REDRAY player is essentially that.

I have been delivering thumb drives, USB 2.0 hard drives, and SD cards with the encoded RR content package. Works pretty simply.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil, what are your processing times making the .RED files for the RedRay?
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by roryhinds View Post
    Thanks Phil, what are your processing times making the .RED files for the RedRay?
    It's a slower encode and it also depends on if you are using .R3Ds or image sequences.

I think I wrote done what it took per minute somewhere. I'm exporting a 5 minute take at the end of the week that I'm currently working on that will be exported as REC.709 DPX frames in 4K. I'll get you the info on that once I'm done working on it.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

cool, thanks Phil, that would be really useful information.
    Would be cool if Red made encoding .RED files GPU accelerated.
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

What would be really cool is if the .RED format gets integrated into 3rd party applications. I dream of a day of exporting a .RED deliverable through Adobe Media Encoder CC. That would save the step of exporting out an image sequence for much of my work. Though much of my work "has" to do that anyways.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

8. #98 Full speed ahead 
    +1 on getting .RED encoding support in AME, Compressor, etc. Does the current SDK support that?

I have been assuming that the reason RRencode only supports R3Ds, TIFF and DPX is to avoid concatenation issues in the .RED files. It makes sense that the more real image data you start with the more likely you are to be able to create a low bandwidth version that looks good. Has there been any testing internally at RED with ProRes444 as the source? VC-5 or any IMF variants?

As a practical matter, the current path requires beaucoup fast storage and plenty of compute muscle (and/or time). That's not a big deal for finished projects unless they're long form, but some of the other potentially handy uses for the tool like dailies, rough cuts, etc would require real time x2 or faster turnarounds to suit most projects.

What we don't know is the trajectory or hardware metrics of the .RED ecosystem. Would a room full of coders be able to create a .RED encoding topology that could leverage beefy GPU's to speed things up? Can RR-X hardware be leveraged? AFAIK, the current RedRay is limited to (UHD)2160 x 3840@30 and (DCI)2160 x 4096@24 which is also the HDMI 1.4 cap. The RedRay has a single cable HDMI 1.4 spigot for UHD/4K as well as a 4 port HDMI option. IIRC Stuart said they were capable of 2160@60fps 8bit playback as a quad-link solution that essentially divvies up the picture data into quadrants to fit through the pipe.

RED showed a 3G SDI x4 live module at NAB that IIRC can do 2160@60 at 10 bits. This 12G worth of bandwidth is what I expect to be the new standard for broadcast infrastructure with rumors of 12G SDI single cable over fiber or copper/fiber hybrid in the air at NAB. BM created a 6G SDI variant over a year ago but the rest of the industry has been reluctant to pursue it - issues with limited cable run lengths and (AFAIK) no proper SMPTE spec to engineer to didn't help.

The RedRay is a great asset for getting UHD/4K seen by millions, thanks RedTeam. That said, there are still many challenges to broad implementation. Whether it's TB3 optical, some version of HDMI that isn't DOA like 2.0, 12G SDI becoming a reality, etc the "pipes" need to evolve. At the moment the SDI solutions are all multi-cable and not always intra-vendor compatible, messy. HDMI 2.0 has been a slow roll out, several NAB vendors mentioned poor availability for the necessary silicon (don't know if its the fabs or other issues). I'm thrilled to have a RedRay and a couple Sony 4K displays - its awesome. That said, greater investment in UHD/4K infrastructure will be a lot easier to ROI once we have devices that support a solid single cable 2160@60P 10 bit interconnect standard that has the potential to hold up for a decade. The early adopter tax combined with a high probability of near term obsolescence due to I/O is only going to slow the UHD/4K train.

Cheers - #19

Have you seen this post… #2...
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...11#post1354111

"We do not anticipate any further firmware development for REDRAY so the features you see are the full scope of the REDRAY player."

Is this true?
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

Here's a little spec sheet at optimum 4K viewing distances:

Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com