Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Ethernet Cables for REDLINK Development

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Would be really awesome if someone just 3D printed a compatible plug that didn't have all of the LEMO fanciness for development.

OK, here's my report so far. I had two custom cables made up by a cable-making supplier but, as stated above, got the connection diagram a bit wrong. So, I had to recrimp the RJ45 ends because the LEMO would have been too difficult for me to easily do myself. The only problem with this is that now the pairing is out of order. Because the data signals are balanced, the pairing is used to remove noise and ensure the signal can travel the required distance with reduced shielding requirements. This cable is unshielded Cat5e, the supplier informed me that the Cat6 they had available wouldn't fit into the LEMO connector. The longer cable I had made, which was 3 m, doesn't achieve a connection after recrimping because of this issue. The LAN indicator on the camera lights up only momentarily and the light on the switch never comes on. The short cable, for stabiliser and handheld use, is 40 cm and, because it's so short, the noise isn't such an issue and it does work now that it's been recrimped. I am a little concerned that this cable won't hold up in environments with more electrical noise than where I tested it but I'll do some testing and see how it goes.

The first thing I did once I'd made the connection was fire up foolcontrol for the first time. Nice work, Mikael, it's awesome! The focus works extremely well on my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G. The 24-70mm f/2.8 didn't work so well, kept seeking from close to infinity right at the bottom of the wheel, but I think a lens re-init will fix that, I didn't get much time to test it.

I also confirmed that the camera does indeed require a gigabit connection to work. I configured a travel router (TP Link MR3020 running OpenWRT, which has a single 100BASE-TX port) to be the on-stabiliser WiFi access point and the camera could only be discovered on the network when it first went through a gigabit switch.

My next step is figuring out how to power the network hardware and keep it together and tidy on the sled of the stabiliser. I'm going to try a mobile phone recharging battery, although I'm not sure how long that will run for and the ultimate solution will be a 5V converter from sled power.
    I'm also considering cutting the longer cable shorter so that I can still use it with the incorrect pairing.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hi Andrew
    Thanks for the infos.
    I have a friend with 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 nikon G. He said all were working fine. Will try to borrow them and make further tests as I want to create preset discs for those 3 lenses.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    I have a friend with 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 nikon G. He said all were working fine. Will try to borrow them and make further tests as I want to create preset discs for those 3 lenses.
    Mikael, this is awesome! I'd love to have presets for those three lenses, I have the 70-200mm also. Can't wait! I'm sure the 24-70mm will be fine after an iniitialisation, I'll try it again soon, and the 70-200.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gentle View Post
    Mikael, this is awesome! I'd love to have presets for those three lenses, I have the 70-200mm also. Can't wait! I'm sure the 24-70mm will be fine after an iniitialisation, I'll try it again soon, and the 70-200.
    Shot as small project saturday with those 3 lenses. Love the image but unfortunately as they are photo zoom they are not parfocal...
    So whenever you change focal length you loose focus. They work well as 'variable primes' but it will difficult to make preset marking discs for them in foolcontrol, as it will always be slightly off except to the extreme focal length values where you have a hard stop.
    However I will try to do all the Nikon prime G lenses if I can get access to a good set.

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    George is correct. Sorry for the confusion. The intent was to document pins as looking into the camera connector. This one was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Winder View Post
    George is correct. Sorry for the confusion. The intent was to document pins as looking into the camera connector. This one was wrong.
    Hi Dave, yes, when I read it at first it seemed confusing but having looked at the other pin diagrams, I concluded that the Ethernet diagram should match so I went ahead with that. I suppose I should have sought clarification from RED. I'm happy to have been part of bringing this to your attention and that the revised document will be clearer.

Shot as small project saturday with those 3 lenses. Love the image but unfortunately as they are photo zoom they are not parfocal...
    So whenever you change focal length you loose focus. They work well as 'variable primes' but it will difficult to make preset marking discs for them in foolcontrol, as it will always be slightly off except to the extreme focal length values where you have a hard stop.
    Yes, that's true, they do have to be used as variable primes as opposed to true zoom lenses. Would it be possible to change the focus disc depending on the focal length reported from the camera? So, it would be a look-up table rather than a linear relationship? I appreciate that could add a lot of complexity and that it could be confusing for the user and that two different copies of the same lens could respond differently.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Hi andrew.
    We could link focal distances to focus marks but I think the precision would be lost as reported focal distance would never be accurate enough to keep precise focus marks across the range.

Will have a look into it but probably won't be worth doing it...

Ho andrew. It could but I think the precision would be lost as reported focal distance would never be accurate enough to keep precise focus marks across the range..
    Yes, the reported focus distance can't be relied upon, but how about the focal length? All good, just a thought!

I had my first shoot with foolcontrol for iOS yesterday, using stabiliser while an assistant ran the focus. Worked like a charm! Before we started rolling, we focussed the camera at different lengths and made corresponding marks on the disk, and the ACs used those marks instead of the reported distance to run the focus. We shot a fairly forgiving f/7 at 24mm, 5K FF and it came out sharp. Having the remote run button on the focus page and remote playback control was so helpful for stabiliser as well.

I didn't get much time to play around with foolcontrol but my one question at this stage is, can you change clip by tapping on it in the playback list or is the list just an indication and you have to use the next/previous clip buttons to change what's loaded into playback?
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Thanks for the feedback Andrew :-)

Will run test but my feeling is that reported focal length change on lens won't be accurate enough to offer reproductible precise focus marks on non parfocal zoom lens.

Yes tapping on a clip in the list will load that clip while in Playback mode.