Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Ethernet Cables for REDLINK Development

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Ethernet Cables for REDLINK Development 
    I love the idea of the REDLINK SDK and am keen to see what people come up with.

Matthew mentioned in another thread that REDLINK SDK will be able to communicate via the Ethernet LEMO on the DSMC brain.

The only cable available at the moment for this is the 9' one in the RED Store. Is anyone aware of anybody selling cables of different lengths? The DSMC Operation manual gives the pinout and the LEMO required to connect on page 120 (FGG.0B.309.CLAD32Z) but they must be a pain to wire yourself.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

I'd actually like a LEMO to RJ-45 jack pigtail cable about 2' in length. Then we can plug that into the brain and tie it off and run whatever length of cable we want from there. With the current 9' one it's a bit more awkward with the connector being 9' out. And we then have to wire up a jack to one end, which is not very robust for on-set use if we're using commonly available keystone type jacks. Or we can just use a coupler, but that adds one more connection point in the chain.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Good idea, Jeff! An inline female ethernet jack. Meanwhile, you could epoxy a good quality coupler to the connector.
    graycatfilms.com // jpperry.net
    We make films that connect. Film and video production in Portland, Oregon.

Just to check up on this; did anyone find a shorter cable? Like 1ft?

I'm thinking if we can find a USB powered portable router with a 1gbit port, wouldn't it make for a very cheap FoolControl set up? Just p-tap-to-USB for the router, and then Cat5e-to-Lemo from router to Camera... then let FoolControl do its thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Just to check up on this; did anyone find a shorter cable? Like 1ft?

I'm thinking if we can find a USB powered portable router with a 1gbit port, wouldn't it make for a very cheap FoolControl set up? Just p-tap-to-USB for the router, and then Cat5e-to-Lemo from router to Camera... then let FoolControl do its thing?
    This *should* work. I'm exploring the same option.

Like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-WiFi-Wi...item35da8cf18c
    That's a great idea...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

The problem is that the Epic requires gigabit ethernet. I have not been able to find a portable 10/100/1000 wifi router.

Yes, Jacek, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, while I only spent a little while looking, finding a portable router with 1gigabit is actually not as easy as you'd think (I honestly thought all ports went to 1gigabit within a year after it was introduced... but apparently not).

Similarly, haven't found a cheaper alternative to RED's own 9ft Cat5e-to-Lemo... Was thinking about starting separate thread, but I have no idea what sub forum it should go into....

I think this is wifi n standard 300Mbs not wired . Wired it should be 1Gb since you can't make wireless 300Mbs from a 100 Mbs ethernet... and you can always use USB to computer...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I'm using these cables, and the work well:

http://search.tecnec.com/search#w=rd1-enet