Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Ethernet Cables for REDLINK Development

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kuhn View Post
    There are quite a few rj-45 to wireless-n modules out there... here's another one: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Univer...8YRAJJ7EYGNBH0

Most of them will be powered by either ethernet or a small transformer (down to 9 or 12v).
    Dont we need a router though? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    That's why I'm looking as well Nils ;)
    Best, j
    Hehe nice :-)
    Well let me know what you find, would really love to be able to get the best of both worlds ;)

pinned for reference
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Don't think that Netgear is gigabit ethernet. From the Amazon page: "Gigabit Ethernet Port-No"
    It does kindof look that way but I think there's a comma missing (after the word 'gigabit'), because I may be crazy but it seems to me that it wouldn't be very useful to have 300mbps wireless if you only had 100mbps wired.

Edit... I was wrong... they did indeed make a device with 300mbit wireless and 100mbit wired... which imho is not the brightest maneuver. I did find ONE gigabit to wireless N bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833168097, I guess I'm surprised that there aren't more (lots of usb-wirelessn... and quite a few 100mb to wireless).
    Last edited by David Kuhn; 09-13-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    David Kuhn
    Epic-M Dragon Monochrome #1995 (Dilbert)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Kamkolkar View Post
    Dont we need a router though? Anyone know?
    I guess the way I'd plumb the system (not having done it before and possibly being completely wrong) would be Epic to wireless-n module powered off the camera... then on the PC side a small router either wired to the PC or just hanging out providing a standard wireless setup.

I suppose if you're planning to control from a phone or pad another option would be to put a small router on the camera... which would use more power than a simple module but would keep the setup simple. Though for that sort of configuration I'd first try to do it ad-hoc (router less) and only fall back on a router setup if for some reason (most likely problem would be that one of the wireless devices doesn't support ad-hoc configurations) an ad-hoc setup didn't work.
    David Kuhn
    Epic-M Dragon Monochrome #1995 (Dilbert)

To be honest, the only thing I'm looking for is wireless to be used for FoolControl iOS... That's why those portable/travel routers (basically a USB powered wifi hotspot with WAN port that cost $20) would have been perfect (they're smaller than the HotLink, too)... Alas, they're only 10/100, which makes them useless. It's kind of frustrating being so close to such a simple/inexpensive solution.

OK, this might need its own thread but I'm working on getting a short cable made up for on-rig patching and I need to confirm the pinout. Attached to this post is the one from the DSMC manual. The diagram states that the pin arrangement diagram is "view into Ethernet Interface Connector" and then specifies "Mating Connector:"

Is the pin arrangement looking into the socket on the camera or looking into the plug to connect to it. Initially I wired it as looking in to the camera but that has proved not to work. Before I cut and recrimp the RJ45 8P8C connector, I'd like to confirm that this pin arrangement is looking towards the plug and not towards the camera.

Attached Images
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gentle View Post
    OK, this might need its own thread but I'm working on getting a short cable made up for on-rig patching and I need to confirm the pinout. Attached to this post is the one from the DSMC manual. The diagram states that the pin arrangement diagram is "view into Ethernet Interface Connector" and then specifies "Mating Connector:"

Is the pin arrangement looking into the socket on the camera or looking into the plug to connect to it. Initially I wired it as looking in to the camera but that has proved not to work. Before I cut and recrimp the RJ45 8P8C connector, I'd like to confirm that this pin arrangement is looking towards the plug and not towards the camera.

it is looking into the connector on the cable.
    http://www.GTsai.com
    http://fuzeti.com/
    EPIC-W 7572
    "Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War
    "I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it...
    And so do I "-EA

Quote Originally Posted by George Tsai View Post
    it is looking into the connector on the cable.
    Thanks for the confirmation, George. Don't you find it a little ambiguous? I would refer to a plug or a socket as a connector and the second line reads to me to introduce a new, second connector which mates to the first one mentioned. Oh well, I'll report back when I get it all working. It's a 400 mm cable for going to a travel router mounted on the rig (possibly through a Gigabit switch, if required) and still keeping the battery plate on the back.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Would be nice if RED or some good cable maker made a small pigtail lemo to female RJ45 cable for underwater and long distance use.

Just bought a few extra lemo-RJ45 RED cables myself and was thinking of cutting one just to do this without having to solder into those small and difficult to source lemo connectors and make a standard ethernet cable with the other end... One could even cut a cheaper master/slave cable and make 2 pigtails out of it...

Are you making yours from scratch Andrew ?
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram