Thread: NiLa or Hexolux?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 NiLa or Hexolux? 
    Senior Member Joseph Seuferling's Avatar
    I'm sizing up these two LED light brands, looking for a solid daylight 3 light set. I had a small amount of hands on time with the Hexolux, which seem to be very versitile. The Nila Varsa and Zaila look good to me as well. Anyone have a favorite?

The Nila's are AMAZING lights....waterproof, drop proof, their almost like pelican cases themselves. Course they are a bit more expensive.

The Hexolux are great lights as well. I think you have a bit more control over the beam pattern of these over the Nila's, since it's more like a fresnel.

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. If you need something punchier, go the Nila route.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Senior Member Joseph Seuferling's Avatar
    Thanks, Chris! The waterproof-ness of the Nila's really appeal to me. I did an 8 hr outdoor shoot last week where it started raining. I pulled out some cheap chinese led panels I've had forever and they performed like champs, with no cover, in torrential, pouring rain. The CRI of course, sucks, but I was able to avoid disaster. Now, if I had some good lights that can stand that sort of abuse, I would indeed be pleased!

I was also considering Nila's or Hexolux. But what is of importance to me is also portability, which is the whole reason for going LED.

I found the Zylight F8 to be the best option of all these 3. Because of the design, beam control, V mount on back and ofc HANDLES! Did I mention the design? ITS TINY & Weatherproof!

Although I only plan on purchasing one unit due to its price. But one can go far with just one when being creative!

The main selling point I see with the hexolux is being able to stack them together creating one very strong lightsource, but at what cost?

I would love to hear everyone else's point of view regarding these lights, as they're all great in their own ways :D

This one is a tough one in reality. Both are quality products from what I can tell. I played with a couple Hexolux's, but I've actually used NiLA's lights a few times. Those things are built to use. Zylight is pretty nice too.

One thing I'm into is hard light and decent output, so take that into consideration here.

I'm making some choices on kitting out some more quality LED gear. I did a fair amount of testing. There was even a moment where I was designing my own lights, but that has crashed and burned due to things well outside of my control.

Right now I'm leaning towards the NiLA's because I don't think I can break them. I think you can get 3 Varsas into a decent sized case as well.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    The answer depends on what you value most in a quality light (all here can agree these two lights produce quality lights). Personally, I value versatility most. Hexolux, imho, are more versatile because of its lens design a la fresnel where you can change the angles, size of beam, etc. Some like power, others durability-what do you value the most?
    MARCOS MONTENEGRO
    K'ASUNEL STUDIOS
    Based in Baltimore / travel worldwide
    DP, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER, AUDIO PRO

Epic-M Dragon 02984 "LA LEYENDA"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Montenegro View Post
    Some like power, others durability-what do you value the most?
    Big agree here. I have a set of Fotodiox 200W LED fresnels. The more I light, the more I favor fresnels. However, these are larger than your average LED light, but the output is higher than the lights we're talking about here.

The NiLA's utilize a "holographic" filter to direct the light at various angles. Not as precise as a fresnel, but in terms of even spread and control it does the job.

Gah. Lighting. Always the hardest decisions.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Zylight feels twice as heavy as the Hex 7. Pete at Hex has found way to make a durable head at reduced weight, which for me is important as I am going for a six light kit and want as light a light as possible that still functions like a studio unit.

I need to eventually get some lights for higher frame rate (96FPS) table top work or outside fill light, that would be competing with the sun. When I compare Foot Candle specs from both the Hexolux and Nilas (Varsa or Boxer), they don't even seem to be able to touch the FC specs of the k5600 Joker 200 or 400. Anyone have any real work experience doing high frame rate stuff with these LED lights or using them outdoors for portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    I need to eventually get some lights for higher frame rate (96FPS) table top work or outside fill light, that would be competing with the sun. When I compare Foot Candle specs from both the Hexolux and Nilas (Varsa or Boxer), they don't even seem to be able to touch the FC specs of the k5600 Joker 200 or 400. Anyone have any real work experience doing high frame rate stuff with these LED lights or using them outdoors for portraits?
    It's not just about the available foot candles of power - it's about focusing that power exactly where you want it that determines the ultimate power and efficiency of a lighting source. Hexolux has great focusing features. See it here: https://vimeo.com/87642264
    Last edited by Zeb B; 04-17-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com