Thread: NiLa or Hexolux?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Joseph Seuferling's Avatar
    I love fresnels as well. The toughness of the Nila's are a big plus, but the versitility of Hexolux has kind of one me over.
    I hadn't considered the Zylight. It seems to be well designed. Does anyone know how the Hexolux fairs in rain?
    Last edited by Joseph Seuferling; 04-17-2014 at 12:27 PM.

I do not believe Hexolux is weatherproof. The benefit is rather low weight due to this. Correct me if I am wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin K View Post
    I do not believe Hexolux is weatherproof. The benefit is rather low weight due to this. Correct me if I am wrong!
    You are correct
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Any opinions on buying Nila/Hexolux vs used Arri lights?
    www.editbuilder.com 100% feedback for 8 years on eBay
    featured on http://barefeats.com/mp12c346.html
    We sell / lease edit bays fully customizable to our clients needs.
    Featuring:
    (now shipping) 6,1 Mac Pro 2.7GHZ 12 core D700 1TB SSD 64GB RAM 9499USD (NV tax only)
    (now shipping) 6,1 Mac Pro (custom) 3GHZ 10 core D700 1TB SSD 64GB RAM 8599USD (NV tax only)
    Featured rental: 5,1 Mac Pro 3.46 12 Core, GTX 780 TI, BM 4k, 16TB RAID, 1TB SSD (600USD/week)
    sales@EDITBUILDER.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    It's not just about the available foot candles of power - it's about focusing that power exactly where you want it that determines the ultimate power and efficiency of a lighting source. Hexolux has great focusing features. See it here: https://vimeo.com/87642264
    Yes, I watched that video in its entirety. Still, my question remains: have any of you done high frame rate stuff with these LED lights or used them outdoors for portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Yes, I watched that video in its entirety. Still, my question remains: have any of you done high frame rate stuff with these LED lights or used them outdoors for portraits?
    Pete stated they are flicker free to like 100,000 fps or some crazy number. RED's wee 96fps will be no issue. The light power vs the Sun is all about how big of a circle you concentrate the Hexolux to and many other factors. If I have time I'll shoot something and post when I get me lites next week.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Pete stated they are flicker free to like 100,000 fps or some crazy number. RED's wee 96fps will be no issue. The light power vs the Sun is all about how big of a circle you concentrate the Hexolux to and many other factors. If I have time I'll shoot something and post when I get me lites next week.
    Thanks Zeb. I'm not concerned about flicker. I assume flicker-free and trust the claims. I'm talking about the light needed when the shutter is at 1/192 (or higher) vs. 1/48. There was a high speed food shoot someone posted once and they were using three 2K tungsten lights. High speed needs lots of light and I'm just wondering if either the Varsa or the D7 provide enough.

And this is the kind of sample I'm looking for in terms of outdoor lighting...

@Andy
    Hexolux is working on a "4K" light that will be better suited for this style of lighting where you need raw horsepower. Probably 3 months out.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

@Andy
    Hexolux is working on a "4K" light that will be better suited for this style of lighting where you need raw horsepower. Probably 3 months out.
    That's helpful to know. I really like their product... from what I can see in your video and another interview I saw with him.

They're going to do a KickStarter for the 4K . . . I'll see if I can swing some RED Lovin swag for us current owners and other RED Users
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com