Thread: Vegas Pro 13 and RED / R3D

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Vegas Pro 13 and RED / R3D 
    Hey, does anyone know if Vegas Pro 13 has any additional features or improvements specifically regarding R3D files from the Red Epic / Red Scarlet or 6K Red Dragon? For example, does Vegas 13 support the editing of 6K Red Dragon R3D files? Also, do we know if cross-platform issues have been resolved e.g. exporting XML for resolve (which has never worked for me in the past, nor has it worked for several other users).

Best,

Will.

Hey there,
    I just started using the trial version of Vegas 13 and the good news is that YES it does support Dragon footage(including 6K)!
    BUT, there is no option to render out at anything higher than 4K so keep that in mind ;) Looking at the preview window, it seems it does use the full frame and scales it to 4K
    What sucks though is that it still doesn't read RMD data correctly. So if you doctor up your footage in Redcine with the new and amazing Dragoncolor and Redgamma4, Vegas won't read it and seems to use some older version of these settings. Within Vegas, you can change some of the metadata, although the only option for color is version 1 and 2. I assume these are Redcolor 1 and 2, with no option for Redgamma at all :(

I was really bummed to see that it still doesn't read RMD data correctly as I love Vegas, but I love the new Dragoncolor and Redgamma4. As of now, to get this quality you'll have to render all clips from Redcine and then use them in Vegas, bummer :(
    Dave Summers
    RED ONE #264, EPIC #00324, EPIC DRAGON CF #00042
    http://www.imdb.me/davesummers

That's good new it supports 6K, but a real shame about RMD incompatibility.

Have you tried exporting XML for Resolve, or anything cross platform? Does that work now?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by William Kee View Post
    That's good new it supports 6K, but a real shame about RMD incompatibility.

Have you tried exporting XML for Resolve, or anything cross platform? Does that work now?

Will
    Do you mean to export from Redcine or Vegas? I'm not too familiar with XML
    Dave Summers
    RED ONE #264, EPIC #00324, EPIC DRAGON CF #00042
    http://www.imdb.me/davesummers

Does Dragon footage still work in Vegas for you?

Most Dragon footage does not work in Vegas. I have been in touch with Sony re this, they are aware but do not give any timeframe for a fix. (I reported it over 6 months ago, and as of last month no fix).
    No idea why, but the footage that can be downloaded here does play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwPoFwlZJE but footage from my Scarlet Dragon does not (Red support confirms all is good with my files). Vegas has a free 30 day trial so you can try it yourself.

Banned
    Vegas Pro is pure garbage so I moved up to Resolve. No more worries about what I can't do on my films or deal with Sony nonsupport of the product. Yes it cost but why buy an Red Epic and cut footage on a consumer low budget editing system? You don't put bumper stickers on a sports car.

I haven't messed with much footage but I couldn't open RAVEN files (found on this forum) through ADOBE Premiere but opened them fine on VEGAS 13 PRO. I haven't updated my software yet (I'm not admin at my work) but I'm sure there is a fix for Premiere.

Vegas supports (natively) RED 1, EPIC MX, SCARLET MX, and EPIC DRAGON (only old OLPF, pre LLO, STD or STH, though).
    Also supports formats like ADX 10 & ADX 16 (on .dpx and on various other extensions), EXR (ACES), ALEXA's LOG-C, SONY's S-Log for F 35, F 55, F 65 (3200 & 5600) (can render in sRGB, rec 709, P3 and XYZ for example) and much more, like audio editing and mixing. In 5.1 surround.
    Cheers!

^yup yup. It's a shame that there is no announcement for a Sony Vegas 14 at NAB (yet). It's a real great editing program.