Thread: DSMC Fan 2.0 Kit - Audio Performance

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Weatherington View Post
    As a comparison, the Panaflex 35mm camera from Panavision has a 34-36 db A-weighted measurement in front of the camera with lens attached.
    I am unable to remember whether the measurement was taken at 3' or 6', but it seems to me that 3' was usually the case.
    Since it is used primarily with ADR productions, the sound department rarely had a problem with it.

At PV the 3' number is something that they have tested in the past. 6' makes sense too, but we didn't talk about it.

I based my testing range on averaging typical dialogue focal lengths, sensor size, and framing distances, but I'm weird like that.

You know the 12 inch measurement was really about that moment where you have an ECU on that eyeball and you direct it to "say something" :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for this testing Phil. I really appreciate it.

Since the room that you performed your tests in was already at 26dB, I'm not quite sure how
    to compare your results with other camera noise level specs. I keep wondering if they test their cameras
    in a VERY quiet room, as in, say a room that is below 10dB etc.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post

Since the room that you performed your tests in was already at 26dB, I'm not quite sure how
    to compare your results with other camera noise level specs. I keep wondering if they test their cameras

If it's a published result by a manufacturer they tested it in a booth likely.

We could have used a large dampened vocal booth, but I'm not shooting in those conditions that often :)

I should add that most rooms float in the 25-40dB range depending on a variety of factors. 25dB is actually very, very quiet.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for the detailed write up...

Quick question. We noticed that our Element Technica 15mm LW adapter is not compatible with the new DSMC 2.0 bottom fan (since it protrudes out a bit more than the previous model).

Do you know if ET (now owned or merged with RED) plans on a revision of this accessory?

For our setups using this configuration, we sometimes need to install the old bottom fan to get around this, which, of course, offsets the usefulness of the new quieter fan algorithms.

I've asked RED, but so far, have not heard of an updated 15mm LW solution. WC has offered an extension for their legacy LW adapter and their newer version is extended, I believe. I'd think RED has plans for something compatible, but either I've missed the announcement of such a product or it is still in the works. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Green View Post
    Do you know if ET (now owned or merged with RED) plans on a revision of this accessory?
    I don't know of anything, but I don't talk to the ET folks that regularly. I switched up to Red AKS a long while ago after my other 3rd party top plate and base plate caused me some rigging concerns when working on jobs with several cameras, hated my old arms too. The Red 15mm LWS works I know that much, but don't know if anything is in store for the ET item. I'd call up ET directly to find out for sure.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Green View Post
    For our setups using this configuration, we sometimes need to install the old bottom fan to get around this, which, of course, offsets the usefulness of the new quieter fan algorithms.
    I wouldn't call the original bottom fan useless as algorithm works the same, the arlgorithm is based on the camera temp and not on what kind of fan it uses. The original bottom fan has a better noise response IMHO (silenter) the gain with the new bottom fan is that it can pump more air throught the air channel when used at speed higher than +-70% for fast cooling.

Pat

That is correct.

Yes - old bottom fan has "friendlier" sound than the new one which is more obtrusive.
    Robert Castiglione
    robcastiglione.com

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post

Below 10dBA is very, very hard to do, except in lab environments. But in recording studios (like mine), 20dBA is not an unreasonable expectation. Which is why we hear the fans of the brain and the Pro I/O module so clearly 8-/
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Guys can you recommend which mode to keep for non sync sound films
    because black shade calibration temp is not constant so my green T becomes yellow T often
    is there a way to maintain it in varying exteriors shoot in sun light and shade?