Thread: Red 5" Touch too bright?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Red 5" Touch too bright? 
    Since firmware v5.1.35 I've noticed my red 5" touch screen shows the RG3 RC3 image a lot brighter than it appears in Redcine-X Pro [v30].
    I have looked at the Redcine images on an iMac [colour profile Adobe 1998, brightness set to max] and a Mac Pro with Dell LCD monitors [Adobe 1998 brightness set at 75%].
    Both show the image much darker.
    Can anyone help me understand why they look so different?
    Nigel

Do you have RAW mode enabled? Is your screen brightness turned up to its max (it should be about 2 "clicks" down from max)?

No - it's set to RC3 RG3.
    I usually set the screen 3 clicks down as there's 7 steps.
    Even turning it down to minimum it all looks brighter.
    Could it be to do with size/pixel density?

nigel you are correct. Same thing happens to both of our camera since that firmware. The LCD shows the image much brighter than it really is. We even had to bring the LCD brightness all the way down. Good thing we use the exposure tools to judge and not the look on the LCD.

Even my touch screen looks very bright, some would think it's overblown, I just look at the histogram now and ignore how it looks on the monitor.
    On one shoot few weeks ago, we had another monitor smallhd dp7, and the image looked good at the dp7, but very bright on the touch screen. The image on redcine-x looked closer to the dp7's image.

Here's an image to clarify, (shot on RED Epic-MX, before Dragon update) look at the top monitor (touch screen) and at the talent's hand, and compare it to the bottom monitor. His hand is very white on top, while on the dp7 you can see detail. (sorry, it's iphone pic)
    Last edited by Nawaf Alsabhan; 06-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Epic-W Helium #1102
    E̷P̷I̷C̷ D̷r̷a̷g̷o̷n̷ #̷0̷4̷5̷8̷2̷
    Nawafalsabhan.com

I don't know but I feel the same. But I thought it was a dragon thing. the touch can be burned out but the histogram looks ok...
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

When you are using the term brightness, are you talking about the light output or that the black level seems elevated?

Thanks Maz, Nawaf, Bjorn.
    Here's an image - Red touch is bottom, Redcine on Dell monitor left, Avid on Dell monitor right , Panasonic plasma from MX02 up top.
    Using Redcine to try and match them up, it's about 1.5 FLUT [or stops] different from the Touch.
    Makes it hard for our students when I told them to trust the Red monitor....

Photo taken with Nexus 5
    Edit: Stacey what's the difference? If i have an image where black level is too high, then reducing the brightness setting lowers the light output AND the perceived black levels AFAICS.

With both the 5" and 9" touch screens, click brightness to the maximum... Then click it back down "3" clicks and you are in perfect settings... Even in bright sun light I leave it like that,and just use a Hood or shade myself and or camera by any means, but leave the Brightens level at "3" clicks below Maximum, hope it works for you as well!
    Filmmaker | Conservationist | Philanthropist

***I Specialize in Brokering the Purchase or Sale of Used RED VV Monstro Cameras. PM me for Details***
    I guarantee a safe Buyer/Seller transaction. Cameras are brought to the Unified DSMC2 Factory Standard and ship to Buyer directly from RED with Transfer of Ownership & 90 Day Warranty.

YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    With both the 5" and 9" touch screens, click brightness to the maximum... Then click it back down "3" clicks and you are in perfect settings... Even in bright sun light I leave it like that,and just use a Hood or shade myself and or camera by any means, but leave the Brightens level at "3" clicks below Maximum, hope it works for you as well!
    Thank Ketch, but I don't think brightness is the issue. The touch screen would show more highlight in low light, but later in redcine-x it's too dark or unusable, similiar to nigelsmith's image. In daylight, it looks like it's overblown or too hot on the touch screen, even though in the histogram it's not clipping, which makes directors and producers worried and would tell me to close the iris down, also because they are used to shooting with dslr's.
    The only settings we got for the touch screen is the brightness, i wish we had more to correct this manually instead of waiting for a firmware update.

In my image, my brightness was lowered down more than 3, and it still looks hot.
    Epic-W Helium #1102
    E̷P̷I̷C̷ D̷r̷a̷g̷o̷n̷ #̷0̷4̷5̷8̷2̷
    Nawafalsabhan.com