Thread: Phil's Cine Gear Expo Journal 2014 - Odds and Ends

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Phil's Cine Gear Expo Journal 2014 - Odds and Ends 
    NAB 2014 was just a couple months ago, so Cine Gear was mostly bringing much of that new goodness to LA. But there were a few things I got a bit more hands on time with on the Paramount Lot.

Paralinx

Paralinx had on display their new Arrow-X wireless video units. I obviously didn't test one out on a camera, but the new range of operation specs on these is impressive. As is the build quality.

Radiant Images

Radiant had a bunch of goodies on display, but I was particularly interested in their crazy MoVI/Epic configuration on this "lawn mower". Goes up to 40mph. Along the lines of Grip Trix electric camera dollies.

Sumolight

It's been a long while since I've had any interest in LED panel lighting, but I got my first look at these new Sumolights during Reducation and made good use of them. They are small and very powerful.

I'm taking a hard look at these because I'm thinking of kitting out 3 to 5 of them. On board dimmer, color temperature adjustable as well as daylight and tungsten units, decent photometrics and color response, 120, 60, and 30 angles via optical lens panel inserts, snap on soft box and octobox, V-Mount plate, and Yoke or Ball mounting for C-stands.

They designed the hell out of these with production in mind. They also have some extremely intelligently designed carrying cases. Really nice build quality too. Don't think I can break these very easily.

Dana Dolly

I know there's a lot of Dana Dolly users here, myself included. Met up at the booth with Mike and he showed me some of the great stuff they've been working on. The new Dana Dolly Hi-Hat Platform is really slick. It allows for higher stable rigging to help get the camera above the track when dong on axis travels and gives you real nice places to grip the traveling platform. I'm definitely grabbing the new platform. It's that little bit better in every possible way. Really easy to undersling too.

Their track kit is really nice as well. Smooth gap-less movement and comes in a nice hard case.

And get this. Mike is working on a motor for the Dana Dolly which will be coming out soon once's he's done noodling on the design. Can't wait for that.

Hive Lighting

Not much new at Hive, except for one specific feature they are adding to all their units. An adjustable color temperature dial has been added to their entire line.

People often ask why I like these in comparison to other types of sources. Short explanation. They are truly flicker free and produce gorgeous light with fairly low power draw. Makes them ideal for a variety of applications in my mind and especially if you are looking for an 575w HMI replacement with really long bulb life.

Tokina

Tokina is coming on strong. They already have the 16-28mm T3 and the PL version is shipping soon. But check out this 50-135mm T3. Shockingly good performance. These are there still designs being smashed into cinema housings, but they are changing a few things internally and it's not totally a straight rehouse. Also to note, they are going to be releasing a mid range zoom of the 24-70-ish variety. It's being worked on now. They are also..... going to be making primes. This is one of the 3 new prime lens contenders I was mentioning.

Right now I'm affectionately calling these the "Tokina Chubbies" because they do have an impressive diameter :)

Illumina Tech

Illumina had on hand their new 14mm T1.8 (f/1.7) prime. What's really important to take note of here is that the 14mm has a very different housing compared to the rest of the Illuminas. It actually can utilize a clamp on matte box and not jam. I am really, really hoping the rest of the lenses get this treatment as they are decent optically. Mechanically this is where they could stand to improve the most. Also they had an 18mm that used an uncoated front element for those who want even more flare from their super speed glass.

HAWK and Vantage

I love visiting these guys. They really are pushing glass out that's really great and unique. Both high speed spherical and anamorphic lenses.

They had an Epic Mysterium-X setup at the booth via Keslow Camera and it was great playing with a few of the newer Vantage One Primes that were available. This makes the current set a total of 5 lenses. There are only two sets in Los Angeles and these are likely not for individual purchase unless you own a castle or an island.

But let me tell you. 17.5mm at T1 is pretty rad.

Innovativ Carts

These dudes have taken the industry by storm. I don't think I walked more than 50 feet at Cine Gear without seeing one of their carts. I don't think I've met anybody who didn't have nice things to say about them. It's on my list of goodies to pick up a Scout. They are making some quality gear.

Here's an Innovativ Cart at the Hawk Booth with some Vantage One Primes on top.

True Lens Service

I was asked to pop in on TLS and see how the 24-70mm Nikon rehousing was going. It's going well, but they still have some kinks they really need to work out and the lens is still a couple months away from being done. I do like their rad PL caps though. I just added a PL mount to a classic lens and need a cap. Think I'll grab one of these.

Panavision

Nothing too new on the Panavision front, but they had some Technocranes on hand and that's always fun. I will have some "optics related" info from them soon though.

Leica

Leica was showing off it's PL Mount Adapter on the M240. I can see this becoming a very useful tool actually. Curious to see where they can go with this concept.

That was pretty much it. I visited every booth and ran into lots of good people. New folks, old coworkers, and a few Redusers. Also some pretty high profile folks I've never worked with which is nice.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Some nice goodies for sure, and Cinegear was yet an other cool experience, and of course was also nice seen you again Phil!!
    Writer | Producer | Director | DP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    ...Tokina is coming on strong....This is one of the 3 new prime lens contenders I was mentioning....
    Copy on that....Tokina..Sigma...so the third one has to be a total newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Right now I'm affectionately calling these the "Tokina Chubbies" because they do have an impressive diameter :)
    ...Tokina Whiskey Tumblers...

Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    Phil, just curious, did you ask the TLS guys for their target price for the 24-70 rehouse?
    MARCOS MONTENEGRO
    K'ASUNEL STUDIOS
    Based in Baltimore / travel worldwide
    DP, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER, AUDIO PRO

Epic-M Dragon 02984 "LA LEYENDA"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Montenegro View Post
    Phil, just curious, did you ask the TLS guys for their target price for the 24-70 rehouse?
    I don't think they have a hard number yet, but I've heard $10k more than once. It's got some heft to it for sure.

Oh. One other thing for Dana Dolly peeps. The Hi-Hat Dana Dolly can literally be used as a Hi-Hat as well by unscrewing the wheel base from the tray. Nice space saver actually.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Glad Paralinx is offering more of their wireless systems in SDI. HDMI sucks compared to a solid locking connector.

And the Inovativ carts are awesome, I adore my Scout 37. They announced they're working on a Mac Pro mounting solution as well.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Thanks for the update Phil,

I got one of the first Sumo Lights and it's been a great workhorse. Color is great and the build quality is very very good. The guys who design and make them are smart long time Hollywood crew members.

Matt Uhry
    www.mattuhry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Montenegro View Post
    Marcos, at NAB they were anticipating around $12K for the 24-70, but of course that is subject to change.

Very nice update, Phil for those of us unable to attend...as always, thanks for all your hard work!
    Last edited by Tom Greenberg; 06-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    BRAINCELL CAMERA- Michigan - Renting Weapon CF Helium, Epic-W Helium, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Cooke MiniS4/i, Leica R, Zeiss Contax, Zeiss S16 Superspeeds
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16, Zeiss S16 11-110
    Support: Ronin, EasyRig, Preston, Bright Tangerine, Teradek, FSI, Inovativ Cart
    ------
    Cinematography/Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI