Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Broadcast standard/RED RAY revisited

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Broadcast standard/RED RAY revisited 
    Its funny how these things come up...
    I remember posting ages ago about the posibility of RED codec becoming a standard for broadcast.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....ight=broadcast

While I didn't forsee REDRAY at the time, they do, in my mind, have something in common. An "every day" delivery format for the consumer. Correct me if im wrong, but if its possible to have data rates/compression this "deep" with common red laser technology, clearly it must be possible to use existing satellite transmittion to send 4k(ish) to an at-home 4k decodebox.

Loving the future!
    "Any smaller and it would be vaporware."

I don't know if 4k will ever be necessary or desired in the home in terms of the mass market. All these years later, consumers are more than satisfied with 4k resolution in the theater on a huge screen and haven't demanded all films be shot in 70mm or IMAX in order to keep spending $10 on a movie ticket. Since most consumers cannot fit larger than 80" screen in their home, 1080p on a 60" screen from 5 feet looks as good as theatrical releases. BUT, i do think the future could hold 60 frame per second full 1080p at 12 or 16 bit color range with higher quality on the compression side. I just think some things hit a plateau ya know?

Some will say, then why shoot in 4k or 5k if you think mass market 4k television sets aren't on the horizon anytime in the near future. Well, DOF for one thing but also because shooting 4k allows pan and scan, smoothcam and zoom capabilities and because 4k converted down to 1080p will always look better than 1080p shot native. IMHO! :)

-shooter

Well Panasonic is certainly going to want some 4K material to display on their 105" 4K moitor for the home...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/p...a-is-official/

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I don't know if 4k will ever be necessary or desired in the home in terms of the mass market. All these years later, consumers are more than satisfied with 4k resolution in the theater ...
    -shooter
    There are but a handful of theatres worldwide with 4k. Most digital theaters are in fact running 2k. I would love it if the local theaters installed 4k but they aren't.
    ----------------------
    Cheers!
    http://www.techyoumedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bowman View Post
    There are but a handful of theatres worldwide with 4k. Most digital theaters are in fact running 2k. I would love it if the local theaters installed 4k but they aren't.
    In Europe (except for UK) SONY have managed to push through their 4K SXRD. By 2010 there (in europe) will be more 4K DC's (Digital Cinemas) then 2K and 35mm put together... Maybe even sooner...
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    In Europe (except for UK) SONY have managed to push through their 4K SXRD. By 2010 there (in europe) will be more 4K DC's (Digital Cinemas) then 2K and 35mm put together... Maybe even sooner...
    More than 2K and 35mm? That would mean several thousand installations in the next 18 months. What's your source?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    I very, very seriously doubt that.

2020 - Maybe.

The digital rollout in Europe has been abysmally slow in every country other than the UK (a notable exception), Germany (to a much lesser extent), and Norway (because of some government intervention). The economic picture needs to be a lot brighter for that to change significantly in the short term.

or the cost of projectors need to come down.
    Rory Hinds
    Director / DoP / Colourist
    Mine Films & Mountain DI

http://www.minefilms.com

UK, USA, CANADA, EUROPE & SOUTH AFRICA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography
    VFX, Grading & Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by roryhinds View Post
    or the cost of projectors need to come down.
    That would basically be true, but it's a rather simplistic view. The projector is only one component. There are servers, automation systems, storage systems, screen upgrades, and other things that are also a part of a digital cinema installation. Not to mention that the lamps are more expensive than those used in film projectors and generally have to be replaced more frequently. It should also be pointed out that one of the current drivers for more digital projection adoption (and perhaps the only one that has been shown to be a potential audience draw) is 3D, which requires significant additional investment beyond the basic projector.

SONY will ship this year 15000+ of their 4K SXRD models - majority to go to EU and USA. And that is just 2008...
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com