Thread: Why film will stay the king...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why film will stay the king... 
    Hello all, like a lot of you, i'm really impatient to put my hand on a dragon camera, but to be really honest, i didn't see any "crazy footage" coming from this little beast..
    Maybe "Run", by Melina Matsoukas (the false Beyonce's teaser), but when you see a 2010 teaser like this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0gSuQWRVw

You say to yourself "Film is Film, no matter what, it will stay the king".. Look at these textures and colors, it has this magical something that i would love to see in dragon..

My grandpa was a air plane mechanic in the war. He saw jet engines come out and he said "they're just a fad, they'll never be as good a propeller". All new technology takes a while to get up to be the standard, but I assume some day in the future, film won't be used again, except in extreme circumstances, much like propeller airplanes today.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.
    AKS, Lighting and Grip also available. PM for information.

New Studio: msquaredstudio.tv
    Follow me on Instagram @MSquared_Studio
    New Website: MaddalenaMedia.com

I think film will always hold a place in the hearts of many just like LPs and tubes do for audio.

On the stills side, I miss physical photo albums. Something I can hold and share with others. Digital photos sort of get lost overtime, in my opinion.

i even miss the days of laserdisc with the special box sets. From an A/V standpoint, DVD and Blu-ray are superior in every way.

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    Heh... I believe many top still photographers said the same thing 10 years ago.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

NEXT Generation of Camera by RED.

OHHHHHHH DAMNNNNNN
    Luis Flores Jr - Shooting CHUCK HANK and THE SAN DIEGO TWINS & RUNNER -

EPIC DRAGONS #202, #1031
    EPIC-M Cameras #960, #1046
    EPIC-X Camera #300

Los Angeles

GOOGULPLX@aol.com
    (805) 822-9870 ce

Film is gone... No need to cry over it... It had a fantastic run... Time for DIGITAL to take "over" fully in all aspects of imagery... A great thing for our environment as well... Dragon is here... No need to cry about the death of film... It is not totally dead yet... It survives in the hands of the fewer and as time goes by even fewer yet we'll get a chance to use it... Shooting Digital for Movies will become as standardized as shooting Stills in Digital has been for years now, and only the exception will see a project shot on Film, unless Quentin opens a Celluloid factory and a new Film Runned projector Cinemas... :)

The switch to digital was always about economics - not aesthetics
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

There's nothing in this trailer Alexa or Dragon couldn't do, in fact the grade is pretty stylized. Grain texture is optional.

I'm not a nostalgic at all, i'm 26 years old, the only cameras i've ever used are "digital" (Dslr's and more recently Red Mx), i'm not a fanboy either.. It's just that, objectively, when you see the trailer of a movie like "Dias de gracia" or others, you understand why "Film is called Film".. And to assimilate Film to Cd-r and digital to "Blue-Ray" is not fair at all.. In term of quality, digital hasn't prove his superiority over Film, not yet..

Again, i would be the most delighted man if such a quality could emanate from a camera as little as the epic body, imagine...
    Red is an innovative company, they constantly look for improvements, and they "listen" .. If they could bring the magical of film (texture and color) in a Red body, it would be damn crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    i even miss the days of laserdisc with the special box sets. From an A/V standpoint, DVD and Blu-ray are superior in every way.
    Speaking of which, I still have mine:-P
    Attached Images
    http://www.GTsai.com
    http://fuzeti.com/
    DSMC2 Helium 7572
    "Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War
    "I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it...
    And so do I "-EA