Thread: Why film will stay the king...

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    The Aeronauts, shot on Monstro with Panavision lenses, is a visually stunning example of state of the art digital production.
    It cedes nothing to film in terms of aesthetics.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2766257945?ref_=vp_rv_ap_0

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Sweeney View Post
    10 years ago I was told it was dead for sure.

I didn't listen either.

Maybe next year!

Attachment 121228
    So 52% of 0.0000000000000001% of all productions would be......

There are a dozen recalcitrant DPs keeping film on life support. Were they to shoot on a RED or Alexa, nobody would know the difference, and their already amazing lighting and composition choices would look...amazing, all the same. Pull the plug.

Film is still a beautiful and valid medium. Though we can make digital look exactly like it, there's always going to be visible, tangible, and intangible differences at the end of the day.

There's lot of hyperbole surrounding "film being dead", on many levels it is, on many levels it's still a medium that some will choose to create with and it's doing slightly better in the last few years.

The reality outside of click bait is the industry as a whole whether we are talking theatrical releases, broadcast television, streaming, and other content is about 95-99% digital as of now.

We've passed by it on technical merit, but aesthetics and desire are tied to much of what we do professionally and personally.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 01-31-2020 at 05:06 AM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mendes Nabil View Post
    Hello all, like a lot of you, i'm really impatient to put my hand on a dragon camera, but to be really honest, i didn't see any "crazy footage" coming from this little beast..
    Maybe "Run", by Melina Matsoukas (the false Beyonce's teaser), but when you see a 2010 teaser like this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0gSuQWRVw

You say to yourself "Film is Film, no matter what, it will stay the king".. Look at these textures and colors, it has this magical something that i would love to see in dragon..

+1

True, I shoot half on digital cams and half on film

Not to compare(there just different processes) and depends on the job and the artistic choice

For sure I’m glad it’s in my tool kit

The good thing is I’m not married to either

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Though we can make digital look exactly like it,

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    We've passed by it on technical merit

Highlight range, motion - nope.

: )
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Highlight range, motion - nope.

: )
    Maybe with a global shutter you will see the motion aspect improve dramatically.

As for highlights, you would think that this has been conquered by now, but in the real world it hasn't. I find that a little surprising. We have had over 20 years of commercially available sensors and the highlight problem persists.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Maybe with a global shutter you will see the motion aspect improve dramatically.
    Not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    As for highlights, you would think that this has been conquered by now, but in the real world it hasn't. I find that a little surprising. We have had over 20 years of commercially available sensors and the highlight problem persists.
    People have trouble conceptualizing exponential increases, let alone what it takes to achieve them, and are generally tucked in illusion of linear.
    With sensors, targeting higher number with prefix "mega-" reconfigures the list of priorities in development.

Film has 135 years.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Looked At Ad Astra on my 4k projector. A beautiful ”film” film. super nice texture and very organic look Heute is just getting better and better. But then again the film has a massive amount of shots mady fully in cg... Those looks possibly even more cinematic than the in camera shots. Not that the in camera shots lack organic feel. But I find very often when shooting digital not the same amount of grain is added, peaple tend to keep it clean and then post and vfx follows and often that result in a glossy less lifelike image. Look at avangers or such for example, to me it has no feel what so ever, but if the source footage would have been grainy then the post would have follow.

So in a way with big blockbusters the choice to shoot analog kind of dictates all that follows in post, gateweave, grain flaring etc. When starting with a clean image rarely they take out the turns the the same extent.

Another nice one is Sangrens First man, same there s lot of noisy imagery and rhe vfx work follows beautifully.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Looked At Ad Astra on my 4k projector. A beautiful ”film” film. super nice texture and very organic look Heute is just getting better and better. But then again the film has a massive amount of shots mady fully in cg... Those looks possibly even more cinematic than the in camera shots. Not that the in camera shots lack organic feel. But I find very often when shooting digital not the same amount of grain is added, peaple tend to keep it clean and then post and vfx follows and often that result in a glossy less lifelike image. Look at avangers or such for example, to me it has no feel what so ever, but if the source footage would have been grainy then the post would have follow.

So in a way with big blockbusters the choice to shoot analog kind of dictates all that follows in post, gateweave, grain flaring etc. When starting with a clean image rarely they take out the turns the the same extent.

Another nice one is Sangrens First man, same there s lot of noisy imagery and rhe vfx work follows beautifully.
    +1

I like the CGI in Spielberg films and credited it to him integrating vfx elements into the wide shot instead of getting too cutty (there's a lot of interaction)–and to him keeping the camera moving. But I watched some of BFG (shot on Alexa, I believe) and it didn't feel so good. This is a really interesting take. The heavy use of nets and Classic Softs might be at work, too?

What techniques do you use for re-graining? How do you simulate a Classic Soft (screen on an out of focus image)?

I am still amazed by the match moving in Minority Report and War of the Worlds. How? How did they do it?
    Last edited by Matt W.; 02-01-2020 at 03:10 PM.