Thread: Why film will stay the king...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I just appreciated, and still DO appreciate the mindset of working in a medium that has more character and is as demanding as film. People bring their A-game when that sound going through the camera equates to a cash register racking up.

I love digital, I really do, it's just that everyone should shoot on film to have an appreciation for 'measure twice, cut once' and THEN apply that mindset to digital workflows.
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    Shooting Digital for Movies will become as standardized as shooting Stills in Digital has been for years now
    Standardization term doesn't stand for the best image quality and look. Digital stills suffer more than digital movies IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    The switch to digital was always about economics - not aesthetics
    Yeah... And also favoring Environmental... But mainly of course about Economics... Of course the ease of how Digital can be processed by one self or a small crew vs what needs to be done with Film is also a very important part of it, as it was for Stills, and not just for me but for a HUGE number of professional photographers Agencies and so on, same with the Movies.

But finally there is a Digital alternative to Film that is no longer an alternative but something that can be used together with and cut together with and finished were no one notices the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip Orlandic View Post
    Standardization term doesn't stand for the best image quality and look. Digital stills suffer more than digital movies IMHO.
    Indeed... But the drive has been so powerful that the move just happened for several reasons some as above said.

If some of you have examples about the "superiority" of digital over film, don't hesitate .. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mendes Nabil View Post
    If some of you have examples about the "superiority" of digital over film, don't hesitate .. ;)
    Is not a matter of superiority... But a matter of Progress... Moving on... Digital as I just said on my prior reply has some many reasons to be favorite over Film that it was absolutely INEVITABLE that at some point was to replace Film... And as we move foreword it most likely seas to exist all together... Or just exist in a very limited edition, so limited that it's use and processing of it will be so impractical and expensive to be so prohibitive that only the thru aficionado or those to wish to trow money away or those that wish and can make a splash with NEWS, will do so when that time will arrive.

For now there is still is Stock, little but there is, and few companies have agreed to produce some more, how much we don't know, mean while Cinema after Cinema is replacing old Film Projectors with Digital ones.

i would show you millions of examples shot on film and looks like SHIT :)

You are posting a link to a YouTube clip.....I agree that it looks great....but in which way is that analog? I can understand if someone prefers analog film, analog workflow and analog projection, or film, process and print for stills.....but nowadays every piece of film is scanned, so even if one shoots film, the final product is pretty much always digital....the best scanners are only digital capture devices just like the sensor in a camera.....
    And like someone here mentioned....this is not something that I would point out as a wonderful example of how good film can be....the tones are pretty crushed.....but again....it's YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    So right....

Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    Okay but that wasn't what he asked, was it? Regardless of all the wonderful conveniences that digital brings us, film at its best and digital at its best is not much of a comparison in my eyes. Film looks incredible and can't be touched by any digital cinema camera...yet.

>>Look at these textures and colors, it has this magical something that i would love to see in dragon..

I really do not like to see THAT in the Dragon. It's not even close to magical for me. I actually think the Scarlet is much better than that. I shot film since I was 6 yrs old by the way.