Thread: ProRes codec alternatives for Premiere Pro? Avid 7? (HELP)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 ProRes codec alternatives for Premiere Pro? Avid 7? (HELP) 
    Greetings all,

New RED user here, but I am still used to the DSLR process of converting RAW to DNG and exporting DNG to ProRes files on After Effects. I never had to use Final Cut Pro for this process,only Premiere Pro and Avid 7.

Now that I have moved on the RED, correct me if I'm wrong, but REDCINE-X only has the ProRes codec option if I have Final Cut Pro.

So if this is accurate, then my questions are?

What is an alternative??

Does ProRes really matter if I do not have FCP? If so, how do I get this codec on my REDCINE-X for Adobe and Avid

I Hope my questions/statements didnt confuse you, I just need to know so I can handle these R3D's correctly in post!
    Epic-X DRAGON #08400 "Robin" 4-17-15 Canon AL
    Canon 5DMIV (C-Log)
    Canon EF 24105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens
    Rokinon 16mm t/2.2, 24mm t/1.5, 85mm t/1.5
    Samyang 50mm t/1.5

Vimeo.com/LetterXCinema
    Facebook.com/LetterXCinema

You can buy compressor or just copy the ProRes codecs from another computer that already has them, or use the avid codec.

You can always take this route if you want to continue using ProRes:

http://www.martin-thoburn.com/vj/ins...out-final-cut/

If you're going to be cutting in Premiere and Avid then you can just use Avid's DNxHD codec. It will install with Avid, otherwise you can download it as a quicktime codec here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...959?popup=true

Most clients still seem to want ProRes as a deliverable though, so I'd recommend keeping ProRes around if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Steer View Post
    You can always take this route if you want to continue using ProRes:

http://www.martin-thoburn.com/vj/ins...out-final-cut/

If you're going to be cutting in Premiere and Avid then you can just use Avid's DNxHD codec. It will install with Avid, otherwise you can download it as a quicktime codec here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...959?popup=true

Most clients still seem to want ProRes as a deliverable though, so I'd recommend keeping ProRes around if you can.

This is very much useful! Thanks Will!
    Canon 5DMIV (C-Log)
    Samyang 50mm t/1.5

Vimeo.com/LetterXCinema

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Wixom View Post
    You can buy compressor or just copy the ProRes codecs from another computer that already has them, or use the avid codec.
    How'd you do this Shiblon?
    Canon 5DMIV (C-Log)
    Samyang 50mm t/1.5

Vimeo.com/LetterXCinema

When you buy compressor (or FCP) it allows your mac to encode prores with any NLE (or redcine). So for 50 bucks you can have the prores codec by simply downloading compressor from the apple store. Far cheaper then buying FCPX (if you don't need FCPX anyway). So I would give it a go, it will work fine, apple just doesn't release the codec, you must have one of the above two products to get it (or a legacy version of FCP)

If your using Avid MXF (DNxHD) is the codec it uses to cut "natively". Though for the record all the programs you listed, FCP, Avid, Adobe CC, have excellent r3d support and you can cut in the camera format (potentially) with a halfway decent machine. All the programs besides Avid are drag and drop super easy to use, Avid you AMA link it, or do the proper MXF workflow. MXF gives you the media tool to use for management, so its preferred for that as well as for general ease of use for the machine for longer form projects where you don't want sloppy playback, dropped frames, lag

but most contemporary machines can use r3d files natively quite easily (esp if you don't need full res playback)
    Last edited by Brian Merlen; 07-08-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com