Thread: Red Rocket-X in Sonnet Echo Express III-D

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Any one PCI-e card can only use up to one bi-directional x4 lane channel, but with a TB2 chassis each card can get it's own x4 lane channel instead of sharing a single x4 lane channel.

TB2 is still only a 2 channel bi-directional x4/x4 lane connection, it is not a true PCI-e x8 lane connection.
    Last edited by Shiblon Wixom; 07-31-2014 at 09:45 AM.

*UPDATE*

just heard back from Sonnet on this:

Red is aware of the warning that comes up, and we have asked them to fix the warming that pops up.

The Red Rocket X is a x16 (16 PCIe lanes) card. Thunderbolt is x4 electrical (even though the EE III is providing a physical x16 slot). The warning message should be to alert for you to the fact that you are using the card in something less than a x16.

Sounds like you have the red rocket in correctly. We are telling customers to ignore the warning. The card is receiving 8 lanes and is able to fully function. We received the same message here when we tested it, and it worked with no problem.
    -Nate

TB1 is a single x4 PCIe channel.

TB2 is 2x x4 PCIe channels. It is NOT a single 8x PCIe channel!

It does not matter what physical slot config the Echo Express III-D is, and additionally it does not matter which of it's 3 slots you plug your RR-X into, it will always have an x4 electrical PCIe connection.

Its almost April 2015 NAB time.

For almost a year with the Express III -R all was good in my studio.

A month ago I tested a Sony PVM X300 and it ran smoothly with RCXPro, Avid and FCPX (not Premiere...still an issue with Black Magic UltraStudio 4K).

Yesterday finally picked up a consumer Sony Bravia 4K.

Ran perfect with REDRAY (PVM didnt) but finding stutter issues with ROCKET.

Re-installed drivers and bam Im getting that damn error again.

The ROCKET will not play nice with this and it cant be the UltraStudio since this worked fine with the PVM.

In Avid the stutter is less using AMA and at full green. Works smoothly at yellow at least but who wants to see that :P

I guess it s back to the drawing board with the ROCKET and this Sonnet unit.

I am going to place everything back to HD mode and see if its the 4K settings causing this which worked in the past :P

Edit: all good. I forgot one key thing why the test Sony worked smoothly. I was using HD-SDI and not HDMI. I had the PVM running smoothly right off the ROCKET SDI. I thought I had it coming out of the UltraStudio 4K SDI. DUH!!
    Last edited by Eric Santiago; 03-18-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Im an idiot!
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

I dont know how I forgot this or I just never knew but the HD-SDI port out of the ROCKET is HD/2K only.

Now what the heck was the Sony PVM seeing out of the ROCKET when I had that for testing?

I swear the display info came up with QuadHD numbers.

Currently my problems with 4K display has now grown to an issue with Avid MC and the BMD UltraStudio 4K.

I seem to have lost the ability to play any type of source/program at even lowest quality using the Client Monitor.

I basically get the snap crackle pop audio along with the choppy to almost frozen playback.

And as usual both parties are not agreeing with my results.

Dont you love tecnnology :P
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >