Thread: Motion Mount PL & Zeiss Standards

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Motion Mount PL & Zeiss Standards 
    Hi All,

I'm on a shoot at the moment and using some Zeiss Standards for some flashback scenes. We had limited to nil testing time but last night when trying to Mount a Zeiss Standard 32mm on my Dragon with a Motion Mount attached both my 1st AC and I felt some resistance with the lens and didn't want to force it any further.

It felt like the back of the lens was touching the glass ND in the PL Mount. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks.
    info@adamhowden.com
    http://adamhowden.com/
    Twitter: @adamhowden

Arri Ultra Primes (16,24,32,50,85 & 135mm), Oconnor CFF-1, Sachtler Cine 30HD, Panasonic 17", Panasonic 21.5", Element Technica Mantis, Small HD 507, DP7.

Quite a few of the standard speeds are too long for the motion mount. Generally, I would rather avoid using standard speeds altogether. I have made a tool that allows me to pre check a lens and know with certainty whether it's safe to use or not after my motion muon was damaged by a Zeiss 12mm 2.1.
    Russell Campbell
    Epic Dragons, RED One MX
    www.oceansenseproductions.com

Not a perfect solution but I will often take my standard PL mount to check lens depths comparatively to the Motion Mount, like I said this is not a perfect solution but at least you can see whether the back of the lens is close or extends far into the throat of the mount compared to the MM.
    just FYI I recently bought a Null lens to check back focus and used this process to make sure the Null lens would not extend on to the OPLF and to make sure it would clear the throat of the mount without being modified.
    This is on an Epic Dragon CF.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

What is the maximum protrusion a motion mount will accept?

If you want, I can make up more of the dumb mounts which are 100% accurate in determining which lenses are safe. This goes out with my motion mount on all rentals.
    Russell Campbell
    Epic Dragons, RED One MX
    www.oceansenseproductions.com