Thread: This "I'm a DoP"-nonsense has to stop

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 This "I'm a DoP"-nonsense has to stop 
    Off the back of the DIT thread...

There's nothing wrong with being a camera operator but every single posted advert involving camera on the likes of Mandy.com or productionbase or Film and TV Pro all say they want a 'DoP' or 'experienced Cinematographer', usually with their own gear and they then go on to advertise the rate as 'near national minimum wage' or unpaid.

Not to mention half the jobs will be something along the lines of events filming where you have zero say or control of the environment/lighting and are just there to press record.

I know it's really just one large question of semantics but to my mind is a massive distinction a camera operator and a DoP and the world would be a better place if people (both shooters AND people looking for crews) used them properly.

And anyone who says a) 'unpaid but will lead to loads of paid jobs' or b) 'It will look great on your showreel' should be named and shamed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Just to add, I'll happily do a job for free if I get something out of it but those gigs seems few and far between these days.

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

It always blows my mind when people demand hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment, years of experience and education, for an unpaid job. The equipment alone goes for thousands a day at rental shops...

Working for free and doing favours or bulking up your reel here and there is fine, but there is a line.

To be honest, I find it pretty rude. Furthermore if you're making a short with zero budget there's zero point trying to wangle a fancy camera package if there's no lights, costume, set design, makeup etc...

And when I see jobs offering 75 per day for a full 1,000 shooting package PLUS D.P. the one thing that sends me over the edge is the promise of hot drinks/refreshments!

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

Drinks, Snacks and Credit are required even if you'er paying me. I find those people annoying who say they're not going to pay but they promise food and drinks plus I get credit for my work.

Luckily a few years ago I made it to a point that I don't really need to worry about people like that, but when I was starting out those ads made me so angry to see. I had my own gear (not as awesome as the REDs I have now), spent a ton of money and many years in film school, and many hours working to get my skill level up. Food and credit are expected, not a form of compensation.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.
    AKS, Lighting and Grip also available. PM for information.

New Studio: msquaredstudio.tv
    Follow me on Instagram @MSquared_Studio
    New Website: MaddalenaMedia.com

Agreed.

I saw an advert posted the other day from a Director who wanted a scene shot for his showreel for free with the DP's kit, stating as the advertiser had come through the BBC directing course it would be a great contact for the successful candidate down the line....

You couldn't make this stuff up.

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram

I imagine most of you have seen this video, but it sums all this up pretty well.

Just say "NO"!!
    Respectfully

Rion Gonzales
    Director of Photography

Dragon X 439

IMDB
    http://www.riongonzales.com

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    So I guess this is more of a complaint about 'I'm a producer' nonsense...

People can make all the demands in the world and offer you less than nothing in return, you my friend have the right to say no. To be very honest, I stopped looking for work at Mandy, Craiglist, and pretty much all the other sites. Put your work out there, as long as it's good.... your clients will come to you.