Not everyone goes there to buy, but many do. I had some things in mind to possibly buy but no real intentions...however, some things bowled me over and I had to dip into the sauce!! So I confess...I bought stuff:
1) View Factor Follow Focus - couldn't help myself, it was an impulse purchase. I didn't plan to buy this item but...it is so sweet that I bought it on the spot, right on their computer.
2) Carrion 8.5" HD monitor - Luis did a great job with this low cost excellent value monitor and I highly recommend others check it out before they buy the Panasonic equivalent. OK, it doesn't have a waveform monitor on it...so what. You cannot beat the price to quality ratio he's afforded us.
3) Lensbabies PL mount (toy) lens. This thing is just fun and can be used for odd speciality shots. Not quality glass but a fun toy.
4) Redrock matte box - OK I was already on the reserve list...but Brian did such a nice job with this matte box that I was truly stunned...and for $800? If you don't get it, even just as a back-up you're crazy. However, we do need the 15mm offset swing away arm to make it perfect. There are a lot of us operating at 15mm studio.
5) Rescue tape - did you guys check this stuff out? A silicon tape that can be used to repair split Edison cables etc. Pretty cool stuff.
I wanted a Kino Flo Para Beam. A very nice directed beam soft light. It really has no spill and is very powerful (for only 2 lamps). The LCD stuff is coming...but it still doesn't compare to the quality of the Kino Flos (IMHO). Spent too much on the other stuff though! LTM was having a 30% off show special on their Pepper lights. I wanted a couple of those too...but held off. And lastly I missed the show special on the TV Logic monitors (20%) on the display models. Too bad, the 17" is very nice and has HDMI, waveform and vectroscope. And the color and blacks looked perfect (as compared to the Panasonic green tinge their 17" monitors seem to have).
Lastly I have to say I had a great time meeting so many Red users...and seeing some again from last year. And especially I had a great time walking through the show with Steve Sherrick, my Boston pal, and Sam Druckerman who is a super nice guy.
What did you buy? (or not).