Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Group Buy Rules....

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Lee Coffey View Post
    The discounts they decide to give us based on number of units sold is a totally arbitrary number anyway.
    True of the precise number, but not generally. Production cost per unit scales down quite a bit with volume for most manufacturing processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    True of the precise number, but not generally. Production cost per unit scales down quite a bit with volume for most manufacturing processes.
    That's what we're talking about here. A few people dropping out here and there. The overwhelming majority of GB participants do not drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Lee Coffey View Post
    That's what we're talking about here. A few people dropping out here and there. The overwhelming majority of GB participants do not drop out.
    That may be true "normally" but I know of one group buy where over 200 people committed and the final tally was supposedly about 70. It does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    That may be true "normally" but I know of one group buy where over 200 people committed and the final tally was supposedly about 70. It does happen.
    I won't let that happen :)

Oh. Then that's that.

I think it is very important to disclose the interests of the Group Buy organiser. Recently I have only seen Ketch Rossi clearly mentioning what he is benefiting from the Group Buy. Sadly others don't.

These days people are fighting to announce Group Buys or interest threads even when the product is not in the market and when they haven't tested the product. Not everyone is blessed with good negotiating skills and in some cases if the Group Buy organiser wants to get benefits for himself then also the best deal is not available for redusers. Either way, the buying power of this group is lost.

When 100 people are buying a product, someone should also gently ask the seller to be a sponsor of reduser. I don't know how costly it is to sponsor here, but I feel it would be good if such manufacturers becomes sponsors.

I think one facet that isn't being fully addressed yet are the benefits and risks relating to GBs involving new or emerging products & technology. While both thrilling and potentially beneficial for individuals & the community, it's also risky to be on the bleeding edge of technology (as we all well know).

Thank you,
    PAUL CHRISTOPHER GREENE
    director | Local 600 DP | composer

Chicago, IL | worldwide

www.paulchristophergreene.com

RED Epic Dragon - MoVI - Helix Seal Team - Proline Raven Steadicam "AR" Config. - Modifed X-Fold UHL 55 pound FAA 333 UAV
    Zeiss, Leica, Canon primes & zooms - RT Motion 2 motor force joystick FIZ, Paralinx Tomahawk
    nMac Pro, Adobe CC, Media Composer, Devinci Resolve, AVID Protools surround studio +

Thanks for posting and clarifying Jarred!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    I think it is very important to disclose the interests of the Group Buy organiser. Recently I have only seen Ketch Rossi clearly mentioning what he is benefiting from the Group Buy. Sadly others don't.

These days people are fighting to announce Group Buys or interest threads even when the product is not in the market and when they haven't tested the product. Not everyone is blessed with good negotiating skills and in some cases if the Group Buy organiser wants to get benefits for himself then also the best deal is not available for redusers. Either way, the buying power of this group is lost.

When 100 people are buying a product, someone should also gently ask the seller to be a sponsor of reduser. I don't know how costly it is to sponsor here, but I feel it would be good if such manufacturers becomes sponsors.

Sabyasachi,

We all make mistakes, I know I make them on a daily basis, and actually more and more as each year goes by and I give apologies for it all the time... :(

But as I have been getting a great amount of Corporate Sponsorships with Gear, I now find it important to also state clearly what is in it for me, and while the Group Buy is not the reason of a certain Benefit I get, when it is I state so in order to give clear understand of what I am getting, but never at the expense of the Community, were I would only do a GB if I see that the community does indeed get a great deal of benefits.
    F I L M M A K E R

AFRODITE FILMS

Hello friends and fellow Redusers,

I want to add some friendly advice here for all considering putting together or purchasing through Group Buys.

Why? Because I've seen the good and bad that comes with this and have experience on both sides of the "organizer" and "purchaser" roles. I also feel that with the dramatic increase in Group Buys a cautious mindset should be utilized.

A few thoughts, and this is not pointing any fingers, but more notes from what I've observed here at Reduser and abroad on the internet.

- Sometimes Group Buys are put together for products that are still in development.
    - Sometimes Group Buys are used as a form of "Crowdsourcing" to help a product even get made.
    - Sometimes Group Buys are created by newer companies just starting out.
    - Sometimes Group Buys are created with a rather "optimistic" delivery in mind.
    - Sometimes Group Buys are from companies that are notorious for missing delivery dates or under delivering on the product offered.
    - Sometimes Group Buys are put together for new or old products that have been fully developed or tested.
    - Organizing and helping a Group Buy "come true" can be a lot of work. Be mindful of who is on top of things.

On a good day a Group Buy can be a tremendous way to get a good deal on a quality product that is useful to add to your working arsenal.

Reduser and Red have zero involvement in "helping" any Group Buy "come true" and they are not liable for any chaos that may happen due to a manufacturing or shipping delay. Mods have to moderate, but have actual power over products ending up in hands.

Knowing all this, use your best instincts when considering investing in a Group Buy, product, and company. Sometimes it's a major gamble. We've seen similar hiccups and heartbreaks on various Crowdsourcing websites even when projects have been funded to extremely healthy levels.

Get to know who you are buying from and what exactly the game plan is for getting that product into your hands.

Finally a cautious word to Group Buy organizers. Reduser, Site Sponsors, Site Owners, Reduser Mods, and Red are watching a lot of the activity involving Group Buys rather closely. Making sure they adhere to rules and doing our best to keep things from getting out of hand. However, the second they get out of hand will be the second that there will be no more Group Buys allowed on this forum. Which may also reach to other cinematography related forums on the internet. And I'll say this, we are closer to that side of the line than being clear from it. Do your best to do your homework on the product, people, and company behind what you are offering. If things explode you might find yourself in a tough spot from a liability perspective and not have the ability to get out or unattached from a bad situation. When money, other people's money, and external factors are involved it can be your professional reputation on the line. So just take care. Manufacturers want to sell products and make money. Don't be a victim to reckless manufacturing and execution.

Ideally a Group Buy would be a reasonable turnaround time from fund collection to product delivery. Waiting over a 1-3 months is likely a sweet spot from the time a Group Buy closes, with trickier products perhaps a bit longer. Waiting over a year often will produce anger, frustration, and general discontent.

Be careful out there. Spend and organize wisely.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Isnt it time all the group buys gets their own thread, and the accessories thread gets free of the clutter? There is rarely any point in looking for news among accessories, since they rapidly gets pushed into page 2, 3 and 4 etc.

/Regards Peter K
    . . .. .: F L O W C I N E :. .. . . .