Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC v5.2.29 Release Build and 5.3.9 Beta

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nils Ruinet View Post
    Actually, I just installed 5.3.16 and it's still the same : when I change ISO, the exposure tool changes too. I can understand that the green part changes, but shouldn't the red and purple parts stay the same, isn't that the point of that tool ? Shouldn't the exposure tool be based on the RAW image, independently of metadata ?

I also just tried adjusting the luma curve (love the new interface btw !), and same thing, changes on curves have an impact on the exposure tool. But not on the Gio scope.

The intent is to preserve the raw information, however the false color is impacted by the curves applied to the image. Using the RLF curve will preserve the raw information best.
    -- Matthew Biederman

Quote Originally Posted by TheBied View Post
    The intent is to preserve the raw information, however the false color is impacted by the curves applied to the image. Using the RLF curve will preserve the raw information best.
    Will the Exposure Tool be fixed in a future firmwire update? Will it function as it used to? (without the need to select RAW/RLF)
    EAST RENTALS
    EPIC-M DRAGON Red Package
    EPIC-X DRAGON Red Package
    CANON K35 Superspeed Lenses - PL mount
    Arri FF-4 Follow Focus
    Tiffen Filters, Arri Matte Boxes, RED ROCKET-X (in Magma 3T Thunderbolt 2 chassis)

www.eastrentals.com
    info@eastrentals.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheBied View Post
    But isn't the point of the exposure tool to be independent of any grading curves or ISO ? When I use this tool, what I really want to know is : what parts of the recorded (RAW) image are really clipped, and what parts are really underexposed, regardless of the ISO and/or curve I selected. You seem to be doing exactly this with the new Gio-scope, so it has to be possible, it is not a limitation within the camera. Could this be done with the exposure tool too ? I think that's a really important point, otherwise it could be quite misleading...

Quote Originally Posted by Nils Ruinet View Post
    But isn't the point of the exposure tool to be independent of any grading curves or ISO ? When I use this tool, what I really want to know is : what parts of the recorded (RAW) image are really clipped, and what parts are really underexposed, regardless of the ISO and/or curve I selected. You seem to be doing exactly this with the new Gio-scope, so it has to be possible, it is not a limitation within the camera. Could this be done with the exposure tool too ? I think that's a really important point, otherwise it could be quite misleading...
    +1

I fully agree. I believe RED's own manual says the same thing about the exposure tool.

Let's hope in the next firmwire the exposure tool will function as advertised.
    We have the video check already which does exactly the same thing.

Wtf this is a long-standing issue, but really now with the new zone tool it doesn't really matter, except the zone tool is still in beta
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM