Thread: Compression Wedges

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    A test with movement may also tell a different story too.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Compared to EPIC MX 5K , even with high compression, EPIC DRAGON 6K footage is a dream.

Luca F. M. Orlandi - A.I.C. IMAGO.

E-W HELIUM 8K #000925 a.k.a. "The BEAST".

atelierorlandi.com

Thanks for sharing your findings, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    It's also very revealing to look at these in Hue Saturation and Value modes. REDCode definitely hits Hue and Saturation much more aggressively than it does luminance. As a result the noise pattern changes dramatically from 2:1 uncompressed to even 8:1 uncompressed. If you want fine noise you really want to shoot at nearly uncompressed.
    I propose a less uniform subject if you plan to conduct more tests in the future. This compression is more visible with greater variations within a whole frame, in shapes and tonalities. This is why this example makes the compression more obvious in a flat part with minute random noise and less on a monochromatic uniform pattern. For example, wide shot with deep focus of a garden with various plants would be more stressing for the codec.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    I propose a less uniform subject if you plan to conduct more tests in the future. This compression is more visible with greater variations within a whole frame, in shapes and tonalities. This is why this example makes the compression more obvious in a flat part with minute random noise and less on a monochromatic uniform pattern. For example, wide shot with deep focus of a garden with various plants would be more stressing for the codec.
    I agree. The hue/sat testing was incidental so the test is pretty poor conceived as a color compression test, my testing goals were to evaluate resolution vs compression to see if it made more sense to drop resolution and lower compression over highly compressed 6k. I would say the 6k is still 'sharper' than 4k at equal MB/s. The rug was the closest thing I could find to pure random noise and the wall next to it gave me a nice 'flat' area for it to compress a low-detail resolution to see how it handled subtle texture vs hard texture.

Wow Gavin, thanks a million for doing this.

Gavin,

Thanks for spending the time to do some valuable testing. Can I ask at what crop or magnification are the images that you posted?
    Tom Gleeson

St. Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom. Worldwide
    Very informative, and kind of you to share, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    A test with movement may also tell a different story too.
    ...as will a second of video shot at 12 fps. I did my own testing and found that looking at still images did not give me nearly the information available from looking at a looped playback of video. In my tests, available via this dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhpx7hx6x...N0HaSIxja?dl=0

the complex pattern of the floor is perfectly stable at lower REDCODE compression ratios, but becomes very distracting as compression rates go up. Pixel-peeping at a single image doesn't tell you how much motion noise you are going to see.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Great to see, I'm not sure how transferable this test is to other subjects where the camera is moving for example.

Does anyone have ideas for how such a test could be done?

One test I have been thinking is filming trees in motion with different compression. Lots of detail and contrast.
    I guess one would ideally do some moving tests as well. Perfect would of course be if the movement is identical so one can compare them side to side.
    I also wondered about the best way to analyse them. I found that Neat Video really helped in analysing compression artefacts by going into the different color modes. There you can see macro blocking and loss of detail very well.

Any thoughts are welcome!
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

More wedges. This is the test I wanted to shoot yesterday as well but never got any sun. As a sharpness test it's useless. The lens just isn't very sharp at that focal length and even if it were the atmospheric distortion between me and trees was visible. Also it's super windy so lots of motion and even the fast shutter I don't think eliminated all the motion blur. But all of them were shot under similar conditions so it's useful to see how they compare.

It's pretty obvious when looking at HSV that compression murders hue and saturation while preserving the luminance until last. So REDCode is a lot like going from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 to 4:2:0. This is very bad for keying and I would really watch your compression at the cost of resolution for greenscreen work. If it's between 4k and no compression or 6k and high compression pick 4k IMO. You'll end up with very large splotchy chroma choise which will give you a lot of headaches.