Thread: Quick Look - LG 31" DCI 4K Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Quick Look - LG 31" DCI 4K Monitor 
    Good evening everybody,

A few hours ago the LG 31" DCI 4K monitor showed up here at the hut. Just wanted to share a couple of my initial thoughts as I'm about 3 hours into looking at this thing. I'll be testing this for a while, but this should help those who are looking hard at this thing a bit.

First up shipping and receiving. I ordered it from Adorama and it shipped in the box itself with rather strong support beams all around the box. However there were a couple puncture wounds on the surface that made me rather concerned. I was happy to see there was enough space and protection in the box to protect the display. Two gentlemen from UPS actually walked it up as I had some other things shipped over today as well. I felt special for a moment there :)

Unwrapped and box opened, here's what I found:
    - 31" LG IPS DCI 4K monitor
    - Stand
    - Stand Base
    - Power Cable
    - USB 3.0 Cable
    - Display Port 1.2 Cable (full to mini)
    - HDMI Cable
    - Manuals, CD, and all that too.
    - A Color Calibration Factory Report, which was an interesting surprise and very welcomed.

Enough about that though, here's a shot from my Galaxy Note 4 of the screen powered up and displaying some DCI 4K content I shot on Mysterium-X a long while ago:

Quick thoughts on the display:

- The resolution is utterly impressive.
    - The pixel pitch is incredibly fine and it's nearly impossible to see individual pixels on this screen. Even with your nose pressed against the fish tank.
    - Color is very vibrant.
    - The monitor has a Portrait Mode swivel, beyond that being useful in other ways, it makes getting to the cables and ports a cinch.

I had zero issues on Windows 7 using Display Port and the nVidia Titan GPU in this box. Plug and play. It detected and good to go. 60Hz 4096x2160. Easy.

I'm currently in the DCI-P3 Sim Picture Mode as that's what I'm super curious about with this display, I'm really liking how the shadows and highlights are handled on this so far. Tested out a custom calibration, sRGB, and Adobe RGB a bit too. Initial thoughts on the overall color and even factory calibration is very positive. Like it's pretty damn gorgeous really. I'm feeling safe on the investment at the moment.

I've been going through various footage finished out in DCI and UHD specifications in various codecs. I hit up YouTube and watched some of my own content as well as others. Did a big of local disk comparisons between H.264, ProRes, and some of the newer codecs. Suddenly the advantages and quality found in H.265 and VP9 at 4K are very apparent. Very interesting when it comes down to resolving fine detail, which this display uncovers in a rather ruthless way. In terms of workflow this thing is going to be a powerful quality control and review tool at a minimum. For me at the moment I'm hoping it works well for an edit and color main display as I deal with DCI 4K resolution fairly often.

I'm going through the standard viewing distances here with my funky neon green tape measure from my camera bag. My line and leaf tests. At 0.5-2.5x this display is making a tremendous difference. However, even at 3X (8-ish feet) I can see the subtle details being brought out.

You will need a decent system obviously to run various applications and even playback 4K material, and that I can see being a speed bump for some people looking at this display.

Scaling and text are initially small, but you can do things about that in the Windows Display Options. At the moment I'm leaving it small because I'm trying to see if I can work like this.

Having the extra space in software GUIs is fascinating so far and that's what I'll be dealing with for several days, but to give you an ideal of what's going on here, here's a screenshot of Redcine-X Pro and a link to a full DCI 4K version for a point of reference:

- Click for resolution 4096x2160 version

A fun personal note. For my own space at the hut I have the 70" Sharp UHD 4K display which I've been using for some time. I now have a DCI 4K display which is likely going to be my main workhorse display after I'm done testing it. Additionally even my freaking phone is sporting a 2560x1440 screen. Outside of my laptops, which I might upgrade to UHD 4K models soon, at this point I can safely say I've fully left 1080p behind, more so than even back in 2010. Just do not want. I only have two 1080p displays in this hut now and one's a 22" and the other is a 46". I'll keep those as they are good for delivery review and color, but they will mostly be on vacation.

So far, for the price I'm utterly impressed here. Just 2 and 3 years ago a display like this would have bought you a pretty decent car. The value and quality so far have impressed me. So far a thumbs up.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

One more quick update as I've been working in various packages and seeing what works.

Here's a screen grab from Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 with Dragon 5.5K 2:1 .R3Ds:

It's really interesting. In the short time I've been working/testing I'm finding that the combination of both the resolution and the aspect ratio of this display are impacting my methods pretty quickly. It's actually really nice to have way more bin space without the second monitor and utilizing the tabs, though it's something I'm getting used to. Having the larger Source and Program displays is very cool, especially when you figure they are both about 2K.

Another oddly happy accident. I have a bunch of footage I shot on Scarlet Mysterium-X at 4K FF that I never watched in 4K until now because I oddly never put it up on the big Sharp screen. Just found the exports and I'm loving those landscapes. Very pretty.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 11-17-2014 at 10:51 PM.

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

do you normally grade in redlogfilm rather then one of the redcolor spaces?
    Cinematographer | Director | Editor | Colorist | Writer
    http://jacenk.net - Epic Dragon #6625 "Leelu"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kraynek View Post
    do you normally grade in redlogfilm rather then one of the redcolor spaces?
    Totally depends on what I'm doing and what's needed. My personal preference tends to start with REDlogFilm for most film and commercial work. The ride film I shot two months ago delivered REDgamma4 however and was pretty straight forward for a VFX heavy and rec.709 delivery. With Dragon I've been pretty true to using DRAGONcolor as my color space like 99% of the time.

I have a great deal of LUTs I've created that are based on log and that also plays a role here. Mostly work in DaVinci Resolve and Adobe SpeedGrade these days as well as Redcine-X Pro. Commonly I'm working out a quick 1st light in RCX and working from there, though sometimes it's more about being in log and jumping into grading package and developing my color corrections and color grades.

Just depends.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

thanks man. yea, currently im trying to get better in cinex as ive been learning Resolve over the past 2 years and now i feel that i need to learn something that will let me output 4k if i want it. I just remember initially opening speedgrade and having FCPX v1 flashbacks and quickly turned it off- havent checked it out since. Just found out the Resolve doesnt carry over a few things from cine-x as well which is kinda disappointing but understandable i suppose.

have been wanting to play in a straight film log starting point, if anyone- your the one to ask so thanks again. Been learning this whole workflow from scratch and i know i can get better images out of the camera- just need to learn the correct workflow.
    Cinematographer | Director | Editor | Colorist | Writer
    http://jacenk.net - Epic Dragon #6625 "Leelu"

This is good. I would love to see a 5K version of this monitor down the line.

Thank you for the impressions! Does the display have a screen coating or is it glossy? If it has a coating, how grainy is it? I prefer glossy in a light controlled room but those are becoming difficult to come by.

8. #8 Just checking… 
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    (snip) I had zero issues on Windows 7 using Display Port and the nVidia Titan GPU in this box. Plug and play. It detected and good to go. 60Hz 4096x2160. Easy.
    You were able to run 4096 x 2160 at 60Hz over a single DP 1.2 cable? If so, please confirm - I didn't think there was enough bandwidth, but I'd love to be wrong ;-)

Cheers - #19

You don't by chance have a Surface Pro 3 that you could try this with do you? Curious if that can push the resolution or if it is limited to 3840.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    You were able to run 4096 x 2160 at 60Hz over a single DP 1.2 cable? If so, please confirm - I didn't think there was enough bandwidth, but I'd love to be wrong ;-)

Cheers - #19

You can at 8bit. It also depends on your GPU. Many GPUs are limited to 50Hz at 4096x2160. Like the Macbook Pro...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.