Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Panavision videos...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Panavision videos... 
    Panavision has released a set of videos entitled "Demystifying Digital Camera Specifications". I have to say that, while the science is mostly correct, the spin is absolutely wrong. Video #6 is particularly "interesting". I guess we have made Canon a bit nervous also?

Are they actually saying that a DSLR image is not as good as a grab from the Genesis? We, at RED, find this video pretty incredible...

We have had many top DPs call us and shake their heads on the phone... :-)

Just saying...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Wow, thanks for the heads up Jim!
    Peace,
    Darren Orange
    CEO / Producer
    Chicago, IL
    Reactor 88 Studios
    W: www.r88s.com / www.bnwmovie.com / www.inspectresmovie.com
    E: reactor88@r88s.com
    Twitter
    www.twitter.com/Darren_Orange
    www.twitter.com/R88S

Banned
    If ASC DP's shake their heads, and Panavision is getting nervous, ----that's a good sign. You're going to be a target, I hope you're ready for the ride! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Panavision has released a set of videos entitled "Demystifying Digital Camera Specifications". I have to say that, while the science is mostly correct, the spin is absolutely wrong. Video #6 is particularly "interesting". I guess we have made Canon a bit nervous also?

Are they actually saying that a DSLR image is not as good as a grab from the Genesis? We, at RED, find this video pretty incredible...

We have had many top DPs call us and shake their heads on the phone... :-)

Just saying...

Jim
    Panavision is just fighting for survival of Genesis in the marker crowded with RED cameras.

And if they are sometimes "so dirty" and "so funny" that's part of a survival fight.
    "There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
    Jean-Luc Godard.

Dynamic range is, after all, the measurement between well saturation (photosite blowout) and noise floor.
    Thom Hogan

Keep it coming, say more....

Good to see you back, Jim.
    Jonas Nystrom;
    director & photographer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    cell +46 702 604 210
    jonasfilm@icloud.com
    www.jonyphoto.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    We had one (nameless) ASC member come to our booth. He grabbed me to admit he had been a true skeptic. After watching the 4k footage, he converted. It was like a religious experience. He was particularly impressed with the anamorphic footage from "The Argentine". We spent 1/2 hour going over our line, including accessories... especially the lenses. He scrutinized the 18-85mm zoom and left a true fan. It made my day...

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Banned
    It sounds to me like Panavision is finally buckling under the pressure. It is pretty hard to ignore what RED has done to the industry.

Good to see you back Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    We had one (nameless) ASC member come to our booth. He grabbed me to admit he had been a true skeptic. After watching the 4k footage, he converted. It was like a religious experience. He was particularly impressed with the anamorphic footage from "The Argentine". We spent 1/2 hour going over our line, including accessories... especially the lenses. He scrutinized the 18-85mm zoom and left a true fan. It made my day...

Jim
    Love it!
    I'm looking forward to reading in American Cinematographer (in the near future) some first hand accounts from ASC members on using Red on productions. Hopefully, there will be a feature on the "Argentine".
    www.albedovfx.com
    The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

panavision's a little nervous, eh?

let's just say for arguments sake that they're right on the money, i still don't want to pay them the difference.

i cannot wait to get my camera.
    Gary Stone

The problem is that with the merging of digital technology and art, it becomes easy to mislead people who are gods of art into believing really stupid technological lies. Then, if you dont technically tell lies but just throw out enough tech to confuse the artists and try to reassure their feelings, they may be successful at least for a while.
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher