Thread: Group Buy: Budget CRI 95 LED Strip Lights

Reply to Thread
Page 198 of 335 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 3345
    Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    Christmas?

Well, I can't help but be slightly disappointed as I have a feature shoot this Thanksgiving I was hoping in using these on.

Having said that, I've been part of some Group Buys where after 2 years we're still awaiting our product to be shipped, so I can't say I was surprised by the delays. Keep it up Brandon, looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    MARCOS MONTENEGRO
    K'ASUNEL STUDIOS
    Based in Baltimore / travel worldwide
    DP, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER, AUDIO PRO

Epic-M Dragon 02984 "LA LEYENDA"

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Fingers crossed for 2015.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

This is why I'm done with group buys. I don't care what the discount is.

Unless the manufacturer has the product "ready to ship", you will not see me in another group buy again.

These (including a couple that I created in the past) beta product/new company/R & D group buys belong on Kickstarter.

I really think Phil, or who's ever in charge of "Group Buy Rules", should make this a distinct rule.

When we Redusers get into a group buy, we get a discount because we are buying a product as a "group" instead of as an individual, so we are essentially getting a wholesale discount. If we have to fund the R & D of the product and wait for delay after delay, then we are not wholesale "group buyers", we are "investors" and should get a lot more than a small discount, we should get stock in that company. Otherwise, the "group buy" ends up costing us time, and since we all know time is money, we end up losing time (money), instead of saving money in the end.

Two of the group buys I created were with new products that were announced at NAB. I started these two group buys with excitement and naivety. It never occurred to me that a group buy could drag on for YEARS. Fortunately, one of the two group buys has successfully shipped, while the other one is still dragging on after two years.

Group Buys should be limited to established companies with products that are ready to ship.

I urge the moderators will make this a rule.

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    I still think Brandon should do a version 1 product with slightly lower specs. It will be mid 2016 before anyone blinks.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

Carey,

Maybe the issue is that Group Buy currently means Bulk Purchase of existing products, Pre-order purchases, and Projects to fulfill a need that when complete give you that item.

The problem is that if we want something that does not exist - either we have to wait until it does, do it ourselves, or hope someone with that necessary skill set will make it happen and tailor it to our needs.

To stop funding for one type of innovation might lock out people (not unlike myself) that might want to create something for the RU community.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Lee Coffey View Post
    Group Buys should be limited to established companies with products that are ready to ship.

I urge the moderators will make this a rule.
    I could not disagree more. I sincerely hope they do not make this rule. This group buy was just for lights and they started shipping early this year. The controllers were an afterthought born out of demand. Everyone asked for them because they didn't want to pay $1,000+ for what's out there now (which can't do half what these units do). The delays suck. I took an $18k "Working Capital" loan from PayPal to get us up to the minimum number of units needed to make this happen and just had to make a payment on it a couple weeks ago. I still have no regrets. I can guarantee that when the dust settles and everyone has their controllers no one will agree with you. It's also worth mentioning that, even with the controller delays, I have a waiting list of over 150 new people wanting to be in round two and lots of people who were in round one wanting more lights.

I stand behind my statements.

Time is money.

I doubt that "no one will agree" with me on this. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Maybe they shouldn't make it a "rule"... maybe they should just post a warning: (like swimming in shark infested waters) enter at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Montenegro View Post
    Christmas?

Well, I can't help but be slightly disappointed as I have a feature shoot this Thanksgiving I was hoping in using these on.

Having said that, I've been part of some Group Buys where after 2 years we're still awaiting our product to be shipped, so I can't say I was surprised by the delays. Keep it up Brandon, looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    You can still use the strips if you have them.

Just need to McGyver it ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

I think most people who enter into these deals understand what they are doing (although, obviously not all). While a change in naming conventions might be helpful, I think it is more important that the GB originator be clear up front about what is known and not known, what the process will be, and be honest about the potential for delays. Brandon did all of this.

I have to say, anyone who planned a shoot around the "promised" dates as we all new this was a product in development. Brandon has done a great job keeping us informed despite his health issues and I thank him for that. I even hope he has the opportunity to create something of a side business around this and can keep innovating on behalf of his loyal and supportive customers. If deals like this didn't happen, we'd be stuck paying premium prices for stuff from only established companies making, sometimes, exorbitant margins. To me, this is the best of the so-called "sharing economy."

What is ironic about the fact that some REDuser GBs have delays is that we are all users of RED equipment. While much better in recent times, this is exactly how RED started; scurrying to meet deadlines they, themselves created in moments of optimism. LOL
    Last edited by Terry VerHaar; 11-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Lee Coffey View Post

Unless the manufacturer has the product "ready to ship", .
    When i joined, i had the impression, it was ready to ship... but then Brandon changed the controller… from a finished lowbudget one. To a better, but still in development.

Time is money.
    It is... the delay is quite expensive: i had to rent, instead of using the paid equipment... With the rental fees i paid during the delay. I could have bought 2x the sets.

Also, Brandon ignored all of my messages after I paid... At least the last 7... . I asked several times if i could get the lights... No answer...