Thread: Premiere Pro, Pluraleyes & R3D

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Premiere Pro, Pluraleyes & R3D 
    Hello,

Anyone has a workflow for sinking R3D files with Pluraleyes?
    We want to work directly with the Synched R3D files in Premiere without doing a Prores and relinking the R3D files.

Thanks

Pat

Does Premiere Pro not have its own form of PluralEyes? Have you tried that and it did not work?

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

the newest version of pluraleyes (3.5) claims to support R3D files. i have not yet tested this, however.

premiere's internal sync-via-audio is pathetic at best. you can only sync one video / audio clip at a time, and most of the time it will initially "sync" the clip half a mile or so down the timeline, requiring two "sync" operations. after which... well... maybe your clip and audio will be in sync. avoid.

c

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    Does Premiere Pro not have its own form of PluralEyes? Have you tried that and it did not work?

Michael

It seems there isnt a supported option for Audio Sync in Premiere.

Under Merge docs I found this (I even tested and no dice):

- Auto-sync using audio waveforms, free-run timecode, time-of-day timecode, AUX timecode, or separate audio timecode is not supported.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by chris morgan View Post
    the newest version of pluraleyes (3.5) claims to support R3D files. i have not yet tested this, however.

premiere's internal sync-via-audio is pathetic at best. you can only sync one video / audio clip at a time, and most of the time it will initially "sync" the clip half a mile or so down the timeline, requiring two "sync" operations. after which... well... maybe your clip and audio will be in sync. avoid.

c
    You beat me to those words.

I just did a test with R3Ds with very bad scratch levels and Premiere could not sync it.

In FCPX Ive done over 1200 clips in the last 3 months and success rate is 90% with the odd 1 to 3 frames off here and there.

It looks like, as of today, Pluraleyes 3.5.5 with r3D is still buggy... Anyone with better experience?

Pat

I was hoping it would work too but no dice.

For $300 USD, FCPX is the best option there is IMHO.

My solution WAS using a very old EOL-d version of pluraleyes 2 (before they were bought out) with Sony Vegas, because I like the way it handles audio much better than Premiere. Then I'd just export a .prproj from Vegas, which was cool.

Now however, Vegas doesn't support Dragon .r3d files, and have given no indication they care about it. And .prproj exports only seem to work in CS6 until you save it natively inside CS6. Then it will open in CC. So I end up going through the excruciating process of transcoding all my Dragon .r3ds to aiff or mp3 (since Vegas has a .wav bug that they don't care to fix either), then throw that into Vegas, sync with old PluralEyes, export to .prproj, Open/Save in CS6, then finally open in CC to hand-align the Dragon .r3d files with the .aiff/.mp3 synced clips in the project timeline.

It is unbelievable how what used to be such a simple process has now taken about 50 steps back and gotten 20x more difficult to achieve the same thing, as technology has 'improved'.

/rant
    Scarlet #530 - "Daisy" || Epic #6012 - "Windswept"

Update.

The Red Giant engineers are working on it. It looks like the frame size (Scarlet 4k ff) was not supported, and now they are also fixing an issue with the frame rate (25p).

They are really quick!

Pat

Wait so Pluraleyes works with R3Ds now? What frame sizes?