Thread: 4K editing now in Avid MCP 8.3.0

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 4K editing now in Avid MCP 8.3.0 
    http://www.avidblogs.com/editing-4k-...now-available/

Who has tried it out w/ dragon 5K and 6K source footage?

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Will be digging deep over the holidays.

I'm very excited by this!! I'll finally get to see my work (full edits) in 4k. It took a long time, so I hope they got it right.

Sad to see that they have not added 5k and 6k timelines, but happy that frame flex can work with them.
    IMAX Director|DP|Producer
    FORGED Monstro VV |Trooper 8K | CF Dragon
    http://digitalcrossing.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dalton View Post
    Sad to see that they have not added 5k and 6k timelines, but happy that frame flex can work with them.
    The press release says Resolution Independent Editing, so I would bet eventually you'll be able to edit at resolutions other than 4K. Here's a link to a very interesting 187-page Avid Workflow Guide:

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFil...flowsGuide.pdf
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

So far 8.3 has been a dream for me, fixed all the bugs I had with 8.2 and all running faster. I haven't had any problems editing in the UltraHD or 4k formats though when I tried to export a h264 in 4k it wanted to take hours for the finish. Does anyone know what the proper codec is with Avid to export at 4K? I know Avid hates ProRes for some reason (or at least my versions always have).

Also, shouldn't the export settings be set to 4K automatically when you go to export if your format is in 4K? I found it strange I had to manually change the resolution size, wondering if I did something wrong?

Revisiting this post.

I just finished testing a Sony PVM X300 with the UltraStudio 4K in FCPX, Resolve and Avid MC 8.3.
    Great results with the test but now need to figure out some workflow issues.

With FCPX and Resove I can get real time playback from a new Mac Pro > Sonnet Echo Express III > RED ROCKET via Thunderbolt 2.

Now with Avid I cant seem to get the same results.

Also the AMA R3Ds seem to show up as 1920x1080 in the Bin listings but def 4K UHD from the above gear chain.

I take it Avid isnt accessing the ROCKET card.

Anyone experience same results or am I not setting up my project properly?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hague View Post
    So far 8.3 has been a dream for me, fixed all the bugs I had with 8.2 and all running faster. I haven't had any problems editing in the UltraHD or 4k formats though when I tried to export a h264 in 4k it wanted to take hours for the finish. Does anyone know what the proper codec is with Avid to export at 4K? I know Avid hates ProRes for some reason (or at least my versions always have).

Also, shouldn't the export settings be set to 4K automatically when you go to export if your format is in 4K? I found it strange I had to manually change the resolution size, wondering if I did something wrong?

Avid needs to put some finishing touches on many of these workflow issues. The export as QuickTime as you noted does not default to project size, etc. So hopefully that is coming along with DNxHR codes for QuickTime that would allow for QT same as source and QuickTime reference etc. Right now it is DPX or the long waits with QuickTime. Resolve is working on MXF DNxHR, so that will help when released as well.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Revisiting this post.

Now with Avid I cant seem to get the same results.

Also the AMA R3Ds seem to show up as 1920x1080 in the Bin listings but def 4K UHD from the above gear chain.

I take it Avid isnt accessing the ROCKET card.

Anyone experience same results or am I not setting up my project properly?
    I have not seen any info on 8.3, 2K+ project sizes and support for the Rocket card yet, so unknown whether that is being used. It never has affected playback, and it is only with debayer set to FULL was it engaged in the processing. So I would do some tests with it on and off to see what differences there might be. If another app is using the RR card when MC is launched, then MC can't use it.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

The DNxHR codec is insanely huge.

The DNxHR codec is insanely huge.
    Greater than its Pro Res flavor counterpart?