Thread: FSI cm250

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 FSI cm250 
    My new Flanders CM250 will be here on tuesday..
    I'm pretty excited. not a big fan of the sony OLED's.. so hoping this will be the ONE.
    anyone have one? thoughts?
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Zak

Don't want to burst your bubble, but they use the Sony OLED Panel. even the same circling circles load up screen. I love my CM250 though. great monitor, looks great. OLED's drift a lot though, over the course of the year, I have definitely seen it move to being less blue.

I dont know.. but thats not the reason I'm not a sony fan.. I want the Lut controls the flanders offers as well as the scopes..

I should Add.. what I have heard was the panel comes from the same factory that does the BVM-F250 for sony..

the only sony monitors I have had at the PVM 250
    Last edited by Zakaree Sandberg; 01-02-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    www.Zakaree.com

You might have to use the brightness control to raise the blacks on set... Otherwise you can miss shadow details.

Ps great monitor...

got the monitor.. seems dull and green... anyone know whats going on? Dont know what to trust.. my other monitors look great and what I grade on them, translates decently to my computers...but the cm250 is very off.
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    www.Zakaree.com

There are varying opinions about where the white point of an OLED should be set. Sony sets theirs to what is called a "Judd Modified" white point. Otherwise, the image appears to most people a bit yellow-green. The Flanders arrives calibrated to the standard white point, but has a Judd Modified setting. Switch that and see if you are happier with it.

As for the "dullness", I can only say that mine arrived calibrated correctly and my own probe confirmed it. Obviously, if you have been using monitors previously that weren't correctly calibrated, you may have gotten used to too much contrast. The brightness is also set to 100 nits... designed for a dark viewing space. You can probably ask a technician at a local camera house to probe it for you to see where it comes in.

Read the manual carefully. Some of the processing options cause signal delay. I have mine set to FAST MODE, and only use the SHOW PSF AS PROGRESSIVE when I have to use a camera in PSF mode (not an issue with RED cameras, but certain others.). I turn this setting off, otherwise even with P signals there is still delay.

If all else fails, contact Bram Desmet @ Flanders, they are hugely helpful over there.

Zakaree,

How's the FSI CM250 working out?

Why did you choose the CM250 vs the DM250>

Quote Originally Posted by Zakaree Sandberg View Post
    My new Flanders CM250 will be here on tuesday..
    I'm pretty excited. not a big fan of the sony OLED's.. so hoping this will be the ONE.
    anyone have one? thoughts?
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

The DM is almost a 25% price increase ($1500) which buys you a decent LUT box or other goodies. Plus it has a 1-2 month back order. The integrated LUT features are really nice though plus the no delay processing.
    Post-Production Editing, Color Correction, and Finishing
    Cincinnati, Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Dubai, UAE

no delay is def the way to go.... basically you have to change the monitors settings to move from Grading/Finishing and editorial. You can not have zero artifacts and in-sync with sound pictures with the CM.

PS It blows my mind how a generation of filmakers/editors have been developed with no temporal sensitivity...

Jason,

What would you suggest for combo On-Set Directors monitor and DIT Case Color Grading Monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Osterday View Post
    The DM is almost a 25% price increase ($1500) which buys you a decent LUT box or other goodies. Plus it has a 1-2 month back order. The integrated LUT features are really nice though plus the no delay processing.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."