Thread: Nvidia GTX 980 for older Mac Pro ?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All right so I got a GTX 980 (PNY) and updated my Mac Pro with the latest NVIDIA drivers (Quadrok5000 for Mac) and.....Nothing.
    Black screen on Yosemite 10.10.2. Two power connectors connected, the fans turn and zero.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bowen View Post
    Yes, as I have already explained, I have installed that driver.
    Nothing happens.

The cards that macvidcards sells have flashed firmware, it's not something simply fixed by updating a driver.

As far as the performance of a pci-e x16 gen 3 vs pci-e x16 gen 2 for GTX GPU's (780 or 980 for instance), I don't see a massive amount of performance gain between a gen 3 pci-e 16x and 8x slot (which should be comparable bandwidth to an older Mac Pro gen 2 pci-e 16x GPU slot). The tested cinebench performance difference in my Z87 system is like 100 fps vs 85 fps, so there is a performance gap but its not a huge gap.

Transcoding rates for 4kHD Raw files in RedcineX are 15 fps vs 12-13 fps, which is a far cry from the old Mac Tower that would maybe get 4-5 fps with an ATI 5770 or GTX 9800.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Wixom View Post
    The cards that macvidcards sells have flashed firmware, it's not something simply fixed by updating a driver.

Actually. if you had read the beginning of this thread, you would understand that we are discussing the fact that the GTX 980 does normally work straight out of the box with Yosemite/Mac albeit without the boot screen. No need for the flashed card from Macvidcards. This is because even though the card has not been "blessed" by Apple, unofficial provision has been made for it in the operating system. I am asking this question of those people who have already been successful with cards which are not from Macvids...

will it my much faster than the 680 4gb i have in my old 2009 mac pro tower ?
    Sidney Lexy Plaut, DFF
    Director of Photography
    www.sidneylexyplaut.com

Clayton, have you installed the NVIDIA web drivers as well as the CUDA drivers? In my experience you should have the lastest web driver installed, but the CUDA driver you will have to play with to find out what is most stable with your system, depending on the applications you run. If you aren't getting any image, then I'm guessing you installed the CUDA driver but not the web driver. The CUDA drivers aren't necessary for the card to operate OSX, just to use CUDA support in programs like Premiere and Resolve. Put your old graphics card in the computer and visit this link to download the web driver - http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/81365/en-us

Once you have downloaded and installed the driver, go to your menu bar and find the NVIDIA icon on the right. Make sure that NVIDIA Web Driver is selected and not OS X Default Graphics Driver.

Once that is complete, you can then download the latest version of the CUDA driver and work your way back to find the most appropriate driver that works for you. http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Tucker View Post
    Clayton, have you installed the NVIDIA web drivers as well as the CUDA drivers? In my experience you should have the lastest web driver installed, but the CUDA driver you will have to play with to find out what is most stable with your system, depending on the applications you run. If you aren't getting any image, then I'm guessing you installed the CUDA driver but not the web driver. The CUDA drivers aren't necessary for the card to operate OSX, just to use CUDA support in programs like Premiere and Resolve. Put your old graphics card in the computer and visit this link to download the web driver - http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/81365/en-us

Once you have downloaded and installed the driver, go to your menu bar and find the NVIDIA icon on the right. Make sure that NVIDIA Web Driver is selected and not OS X Default Graphics Driver.

Once that is complete, you can then download the latest version of the CUDA driver and work your way back to find the most appropriate driver that works for you. http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
    Hi Chandler, thanks for your feedback.
    What concerns me is that I have installed the latest webdriver from Nvidia from the beginning (343.02.02f01)...so really not sure what's gowing on here.
    Going to do a clean install of my system on a SSD anyway, so might as well start from scratch. Perhaps there is a conflict somewhere in the current system.

EDIT: Did a clean install. Only Yosemite the webdriver and the CUDA. Doesn't work. Nada, No idea why. Suggestions?

Ok, an update here.
    I returned the card and got a first generation Nvidia GTX 980 with a single fan and two 6-pin connectors (as opposed to an 8-pin + 6-pin).
    It works.
    So there you go. Stay away from overclocked and non double 6 pin configurations on the cards.