Thread: The dreaded black and white startup screen.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 The dreaded black and white startup screen. 
    I love Red. I have said it many times before, I think it is one of the best companies I ever had to deal with. Being a Red owner for three years now, this is something I really have to get off my chest.
    Fifty percent of the time when we boot up the camera we see the half white half black screen from hell. Every time a new firmware upgrade comes along I say to myself "here we go... they are finally
    going to fix this". When I received My Dragon (which I love and adore) I was sure that this would definitely be the the end, but much to my surprise the problem was still there. The latest release build
    solved many problems and addressed the needs of many people here but this one tiny problem still remains. WHY???
    I know that unplugging the monitor cable and plugging it back is a very simple thing to do but it should never come to that.
    Dear Red, can we please take care of this?
    Attached Images

Wow. I have never seen this issue.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Do you mean that the screen is stuck on that until you unplug the cable and plug it back? I see that b&w screen for a second or two when I switch on my camera but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo D View Post
    Do you mean that the screen is stuck on that until you unplug the cable and plug it back? I see that b&w screen for a second or two when I switch on my camera but that's all.
    Yeah, that happened on my Scarlet as well. Haven't seen it on our Dragon yet. But it has never been stuck like that!
    Jens
    http://jrstudios.se
    Scarlet-X #547, Epic Dragon-M #246

My camera had the same problem. When shot at-25c when turning on the camera hang on a B/W screen and had to move the cable back and forth , so that the image appears . When the camera returned home this problem we decided blackshading . But I have another question sometimes when loading screen is completely white, it happens more often after the updates are installed , then a couple of inclusions everything is stable again B/W two seconds and everything works. Who can explain what the screen at all ??? I somewhere saw a post about that , with different settings blackshading black half of the screen changes . What do you say??

Dumb question but have you guys tried different cables? Just thought I'd put it out there. I've personally never seen that happen, sorry it's happening. I can definitely understand the frustration.

This also happens with both my scarlet and epic MX. I have tried different cables, but it makes no difference. I think by selecting 30hz in the monitor control menu you see a big improvement and it will happen less.

The only way the half white half black screen goes away is if we unplug the monitor cable and plug it back, it does not go away by itself. We tried different cables and we also tried different refresh rates from the monitor settings menu but none of that helps.

Never seen that. It does seem like certain bodies have more issues than others for sure
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Almost every camera I have ever used does this. It is annoying.

Nick