Thread: The dreaded black and white startup screen.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Almost every camera I have ever used does this. It is annoying.

Nick
    Weird, because every Red One and Epic camera I've used has never had this issue. When I've had an issue with the output it was the cable, or in one case it was the EVF itself, which Red fixed when I sent it it. I myself haven't see the Black and White screen, just shifts in color (all green) or rasterization - again cable issues or EVF.
    justin chin
    infinite machine
    www.infinitemachine.com

Maybe it's an issue with older touch screens? I've never had an EVF do it, just the 5" touches. Come to think of it, I don't think I've eve seen it on any of the big monitors either.

Nick

This issue does not happen on external monitors, it is unique to the touchscreen. I never owned the 7 or 9 inch screens and I also never owned the EVF so I can't attest to that, but what I can say for sure is that this has been happening on my 5 inch touchscreen since I got my Epic. There are times when this does not happen upon starting the camera but for every time it doesn't happen... there is one time that this does happen.

I have the 7" non-touch screen and never seen this before

We get it sometimes as well,
    Turn it off or on, or pull the monitor cable out and plug back in.
    Have no idea what it is.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

It's gotta be a 5" touch issue then. Never seen this on the 9" or the new 7". Anyone seen it on any monitor other than the 5" touch. Would be good to narrow it down to a specific monitor.

Like Mark, I also get it sometimes. Pulling the cable and reseating always seems to take care of it. Kinda an amateur-hour solution for a high end bit of kit, but so it goes.
    Paul Schneider
    Concrete + Clay
    3450 Cahuenga Blvd. W. Suite 503
    Los Angeles, CA 9068
    t:310.888.2806
    concreteandclay.com

twitter: @lettershome

I don't have a touch (just a regular R1 5.6" monitor and Bomb EVF) but maybe this is a similar issue -- sometimes my camera boot-loops (blank screen, orange power LED), and all I have to do is push the power-button on the monitor for it to boot up (though the physical monitor buttons don't function until I disconnect/reconnect the cable).

I do think it's weird that there are half-a-dozen+ people in this thread with the same problem over multiple cameras, that have just been dealing with it for literally the last 3-4 years (since DSMC released) over multiple firmwares and camera iterations (MX and now Dragon)... that's haggard. No c300 or F3-5 or Alexa (or *cough* DSLR *cough*) I've used has exhibited such idiosyncratic behaviour, and it's things like these that likely give RED it's less-than-perfectly-reliable reputation, long after the R1's initial few months.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 02-15-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Always had it - on my ex Scarlet and now on my Epic. Using 5.0 touchscreen.

The conductors at the edge of LCD panels can sometimes be less than ideal. I have a camera monitor on the SI2K. It is a rebadged OEM out of Taiwan. It goes white, sometimes flickering, sometimes not. A sharp tap to the edge of the monitor casework usually makes it come good.

I took it apart and added some foam packing within the casework to force suspect parts to maintain contact. The cure worked for a while but the issue came back, probably because the foam eventually reformed and positive pressure on the joint disappeared.

The plastic cases on many monitors are not as robust as they could be. They may flex through being moved and adjusted on arms. The case will twist.

The metal substrate under and around the LCD panel itself is more rigid but can also twist. The enclosed panels and ribbon conductors may then draw laterally relative to each other albeit maybe only in micron movements. Over time one can expect conductive joints may break down in these highly complex components.

Giving your monitor a sharp light rap with a finger on the edge of the screen frame from the side, not the front, may provoke a change in the faultyscreen display. The screen should not be directly mounted to the camera body to try this or the disturbance may agitate a fault within the camera itself. If there is a change in the screen display, then the camera itself is not at fault.

Be aware that any such violence however light, will void your warranty or make the problem permanent. Listen to the better advice of others who contribute to this discussion.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 02-15-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: error