Thread: The dreaded black and white startup screen.

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
    It's gotta be a 5" touch issue then.
    Yes, that's what's my experience as well.

It happens with the 5" touch monitor only. Seen it often. Annoying. The cable trick mostly worked. Now with the dragon update and some software builds ago it seems to be gone. However, I still see a white flash on the 5" that fortunately doesn't turn into the black and white screen any more.

Hans
    Hans von Sonntag
    www.hubbertvonsonntag.com

I'm using the 5" touch. I see the black/white screen 50% of boot ups, and just a white screen on about 10% or so. I thought it was just normal until this thread. I did have some problems with it getting stuck on that screen and forcing me to reboot the camera after updating to the previous firmware, but I figured it was a bad install so I installed again and haven't had it get stuck there since.

Senior Member JeanChristophe Dupasquier's Avatar
    I have the same issue ~50% of the time with my Scarlet. It's not the 5.0 touchscreen nor the cable. Same monitor worked on a Epic Dragon, switched the screen back and forth on a 1day shoot, b/w screen only happened on the Scarlet. I had to replace my 5.0 LCD once, the new one (also new cable) didn't resolve that problem. Firmware updates has also no effect. Glad to hear I'm not alone :)

I had never seen this before until I read the thread. Then it happened to me with a new 7" Touch. I unplugged and re-plugged the cable, and the problem disappeared.

I conclude that reading REDUSER is useful (it gave me the work-around), but also dangerous (because I never saw the problem until I read about it here). ;-)
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Cycling through the overlay views always fixed it for me, using a button on the side-handle. Can take several cycles sometimes though, but would rather do that than unplugging and re-plugging the monitor.

Edit - The specific 'Key Action' is 'LCD (Brain): Cycle Mode'. Using that set to a button removes all the onscreen overlays and sort of refreshes the screen as it changes over, which I think gives the monitor a chance to properly receive the signal form the camera again. IIRC, and as others have mentioned, setting the monitors refresh rate to 30Hz can help prevent the signal getting corrupted too.
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 03-08-2015 at 11:22 AM.

For me this has indicated a need to tighten the nut at the end of the cable

Occasionally this happens with my camera as well.

Dragon + 5" LCD
    graycatfilms.com // jpperry.net
    We make films that connect. Film and video production in Portland, Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Cycling through the overlay views always fixed it for me, using a button on the side-handle. Can take several cycles sometimes though, but would rather do that than unplugging and re-plugging the monitor.

Edit - The specific 'Key Action' is 'LCD (Brain): Cycle Mode'. Using that set to a button removes all the onscreen overlays and sort of refreshes the screen as it changes over, which I think gives the monitor a chance to properly receive the signal form the camera again. IIRC, and as others have mentioned, setting the monitors refresh rate to 30Hz can help prevent the signal getting corrupted too.
    Happens everytime with 2 of our monitors and with any cable on our Epic-W...

Thanks for the Cycle mode tip!

Same here 5" touch on my epic M and once on a hired in raven with 4.7' straight onto the body.
    Epic-W #05188 Commercial DP Durban South Africa www.jimmyreynolds.co.za

I get this problem about 50% of the time as well with my 5" touch. I've had this problem over 3 bodies with the same screen. First with my Scarlet, then Epic MX/Dragon and now Epic-W. I wish there was a fix for it. Unplugging the cable has been standard operating procedure for a long time. I will try the cycle mode in the future.
    Last edited by Danai Chutinaton; 06-13-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: subscribed
    Danai Chutinaton | DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35
    www.bluepano.com