Thread: Perpetual License For Scratch For ... You Won't Believe It!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Perpetual License For Scratch For ... You Won't Believe It! 
    Again, no affiliation to either Assimilate, B&H or AJA. B&H is now offering a PERPETUAL LICENSE of Scratch bundled with either an AJA Kona 4 Card or an AJA io 4K Thunderbolt Box for $2,690.00. See:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

My, how times are changing.

I like the idea of Scratch. I've seen a walk through at NAB. CLearly not enough to get a feel for it. I'm curious though. How would this compare to something like Smoke for example. How is the stability of the company?. Do people enjoy the user experience? Etc. If that is the full version I think their pricing will open more doors for them.
    Jim Hoffman
    Chicago, Illinois

nice find
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    Gemini package
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Epic W package
    Oconnor 2060

Red Rocket X with rMBP, FCPX, Avid MC8, premiere, and Resolve Lite in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

4. #4 Scratch User Experience 
    I thought I'd jump in with some user experience. To start, my company, Local Hero, is an all-scratch facility servicing studios and independents in LA. We use Scratch for all DAILIES, CONFORM, COLOR, VFX REVIEW, MASTERING and VERSIONING on about 20 feature films a year. Here's a partial IMDB list of films we've done entirely in SCRATCH :

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0196938/?ref_=fn_al_co_1

and here's a video case study that was done about our use of SCRATCH

https://vimeo.com/63351449

In terms of user experience, SCRATCH is my favorite of all the DI systems ( and I mean all ). From a macro perspective, SCRATCH combines a lot of the features of SMOKE and RESOLVE into one platform, and keeps everything realtime. Its got good grading tools ( we have a-list clients sitting in our DI theatre grading with us most days and are able to make them and us happy ) and very good compositing tools built in. Being able to use compositing tools during grading opens up a whole new way of working, really interesting problem solving and definitely an interesting way to impress your clients.... : )

On a micro scale ; SCRATCH is fast. Its really responsive, more so than anything else I've ever seen. It reacts to you as soon as you touch it, where as other systems have lag ( resolve definitely lags ). It just makes the experience of doing creative work more fun and interactive.

ASSIMILATE is also innovative. They just released a web review system built right into SCRATCH called SCRATCH WEB. At first you might wonder why you want that. Just try it and you'll see. One button publishing from your grade timeline ( even if you're in raw or DPX or whatever ) to a rock-solid web review for clients... we've moved the whole facility over to that.

Anyhow, those are my 2 cents from someone that relies on SCRATCh every day. Hope it helps.

You can email me any other questions you have at leandro@localheropost.om, I like to educate.

Leandro -

Maybe you can help answer this - I haven't played with Scratch that much, but I'm always interested in checking out different or new software.

What's the ideal on set dailies workflow? I currently use DaVinci because I'm able to do a lot of batch processing on a per-reel basis if I need to (which is the case with a lot of the jobs I'm on - one LUT per scene applied to the dailies and then QC, tweak and render). My initial brief look at Scratch made it seem like it wouldn't be a very good interface for dealing with lots of raw footage (i.e. multi-cam commercial with mixed formats/resolutions).

Do you have a preferred workflow for on set dailies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak View Post
    Again, no affiliation to either Assimilate, B&H or AJA. B&H is now offering a PERPETUAL LICENSE of Scratch bundled with either an AJA Kona 4 Card or an AJA io 4K Thunderbolt Box for $2,690.00. See:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

My, how times are changing.
    Just a quick note. Many users jumped on board with even better deal, when Assimilate offered a perpetual license for Scratch around the New Year for $500.
    Even if you used Scratch only for Prores encoding on Windows, at $500 it's no brainer. It is great platform for dailies on Windows. BTW, it's an official Apple Prores, not ffmpeg.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

In response to this :

"My initial brief look at Scratch made it seem like it wouldn't be a very good interface for dealing with lots of raw footage (i.e. multi-cam commercial with mixed formats/resolutions)."

Sorry but you've got it backwards. SCRATCH is best in class at managing raw footage for dailies. SCRATCH did the dailies on the last Pireates of the Caribbean film, aswell as thousands of others. Heres a video that goes in depht, if you're interested :

https://vimeo.com/102211492

Leandro -

Thanks for the link. Definitely some useful insight. I do like the way it handles audio sync. Seems a lot more polished than DaVinci. Definitely going to do some workflow/speed tests this weekend. Got to love the RedUser community. Always willing to help another filmmaker!

Scratch is back on my map.
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Leandro - thanks for the insight. I saw your interview on assimilates site a few days ago. Impressive. Congrats on your successes. Any thoughts on performance on a mac trash can versus additional hardware?

Jake - I wish I saw that deal. I would have jumped in.
    Jim Hoffman
    Chicago, Illinois