Thread: Canon C300 mk ii

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I think it is good for Red that Canon announced first, as it gives them a chance to counter move better on upgrade price and new performance tweaks with Weapon. No doubt for a lot of TV work C300M2 is gonna clean up. Red is better but as many say, producers frequently don't care. They'll take the BMW over the Bugatti.

Preordered.
    Matt Gottshalk, DP
    Emmy Award winning Editor
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260

I don't understand the comparison with the fs7, we all know that productions of a certain level will choose the c300 mark ii over fs7, so the price difference and specs don't really matter that much.

Whats important here is brand and reliability. Canon has a pretty clean rep, so does Arri, Sony has a video look rep so they are throwing every spec they can into cameras to divert attention, and Red has a few blemishes. Canon doesn't need to jump through hoops spec wise, they just need to deliver whatever they promise right out the gate and they'll be popular. Lets be frank the 16+ stops of DR and 2000 native ISO did not help, it hurt the brand. I know that technically both of those specs can be proven, but practically speaking and for some one not religiously following reducer and not fully aware of OLPF options that was not the case. So whether the initial claim was true or not, the industry perception was that it was false and perception affects the brand name. No one can deny that the industry perception is that you have to take what Red says with a grain of salt. So I think that Canon with less specs can eat Reds lunch, especially if history repeats itself with Weapon. Reds great but they make mistakes, so the consistent record might beat the better performer in some cases.

4. #44 Canon c100 mark 2 vs. Canon c300 mark 2 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brown View Post
    I think Canon are missing an opportunity - offer 50 Mbs 422 on the C100 Mk2 and if you don't need 4K, this is the ideal camera.

Scott
    Hi Scott,
    It appears the C100 mk II will perform the same as the older c300 in terms of how the image is processed,
    provided you output to a recorder to get the 4:2:2/50 mbps quality image. I never liked the way the C100
    processed colour even though it claimed to use the same sensor and process of its higher siblings ( it's since
    been admitted the camera was dumbed-down in the processing department).

The new C300 mk. II is not only a new sensor but the way the files are processed is completely
    different, which is probably why the price is twice the cost. They are now calling it their new flagship EOS
    camera until they come out with a new C500.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    If it really can do a clean 800 ISO, 15-stop Alexa-like image for that price then it is pretty interesting to me. They claim improved colors too, with "less color bleed" so whatever that means, I'm interested too.
    Having tested C100 Mk2 I'd say sensitivity is taken care of. Colors were significantly improved. Rolling shutter is also not an issue any more.

Can someone please clarify "external recording of raw" for me? Are these external recorders actually recording sensor data & meta data - e.g. image data that has not yet been debayered. Or are they capturing uncompressed log footage and incorrectly calling it raw?
    Epic #4048 Pharaoh

Hi David

I'm not a big fan of adding external recorders to cameras for run and gun ob doc filming where we have to go hand held for long periods of time but this would certainly allow us to deliver BBC spec 50 Mbs output. I've not used the C100 Mk2 but it does seem to offer genuine value and probably the best quality for the least money of all cameras today.

FS7 - anyone who has used the camera care to chime in regarding image quality, especially skin tones? I have heard that quality drops at higher frame rates (pictures are softer) but it really does offer a LOT for the money.

Re. the C300 Mk2 - I'm wondering if the camera has the power internally to record 4K 60fps and if Canon has just disabled this option to avoid hurting sales of the C500 Mk2 which is inevitably in development.

Scott
    Midas Media
    www.midasmedia.tv

8. #48 NAB + Canon Offerings 
    Scott,
    Presently the Canon C100 mark 2 is not selling or being stocked yet by the usual suspects.
    After NAB, the fallout will be known and that could change.
    It remains to be seen what will be offered in the Canon C100 mark 2 price range and
    it might end up being a dark horse.

Admittedly, the new Canon C300 mark 2 is looking good on paper. Looking forward to all
    announcements including Weapon of course. Wish I could be at NAB.

If you are careful with it, the imagery from the F5 based FS7 is really pretty good, good enough that a lot of people have migrated to it as a quick and easy alternative. Better than the current C300 IMO. Battery life is amazing, it is light, and with decent glass gives a nice picture that I do not agree has to look videoish. The latitude is what made it really shine over the current C300. But the C300 pumping out 4K and 14-15 stops of DR is definitely going to make current C300 owners jump for joy. And it will perhaps head off the migration to FS7 that has been going on, even for shows like VICE from what I read. What makes all this tricky for Red owners I think is that with Weapon coming, and so far seeming to be a midway step more about body change and some processing, is that if it is not really a significant picture improvement over what it is now then I could see people wondering if they are not better off spending money on a second camera like the C300 rather than an upgrade of the one they have. So I am waiting to see how Red comes out of the corner at NAB.

Good question:

I'm wondering if the camera has the power internally to record 4K 60fps and if Canon has just disabled this option to avoid hurting sales of the C500 Mk2 which is inevitably in development.

Scott