Thread: NAB 2015 - Favorites

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SmallHD 502 - looks awesome - will have one tomorrow! Announcement to Shipment = couple weeks!

So many uses from gimbal, drone, dslr and cine

https://www.smallhd.com/lp/502/
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    SmallHD 502 - looks awesome - will have one tomorrow! /
    Definitely hoping for a Zeb Productions review on this one. I need a better / second monitor for focus use. The new BM FocusAssist looks great too but I know how their deliver schedules work.

*** !!! WARNING !!! ***

The new FCP-X update crashes on startup trying to open projects / libraries from the previous version!
    Upon launch it attempts to upgrade the previous version's project (the last one you have worked on) - but it crashes almost immediately.
    For anyone on deadline - hold off the upgrading till this is fixed.
    If you are stuck with this issue already - here is a work around that worked for me...:

1. Open FCP-X while holding the Option key - this will bring up menu allowing you to select a project / library to open, or just create a new one...

2. Select to create a new one - but do it quick before the FCP-X crashes. You may need few tries...

3. FCP-X will launch with the new project. Once running - from the FILE menu chose to close that project...

4. Open the project from the previous version that was crashing before - you will be prompted to update it to the new version. This time, however, it should complete properly and you should be back up and running...

I hope this helps someone...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    *** !!! WARNING !!! ***

I hope this helps someone...

Peter
    Thanks peter, I'm a little tempted to try FCP-X again... how good is the new GPU acceleration?

I'm curious how it performs w/ a nMP w/ D500 vs D700 w/out a RRX
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Very excited about the ursa mini... lots of cool things in that little camera. preordered... so lets hope it doesn't suck
    www.ryanhamblin.com

BrainStemDigital production|post|vfx
    info@brainstem.tv
    www.brainstem.tv
    follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/brainstemdigit

Gear list: Rokinon 14mm T/3.1, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm T/1.5, Pentax 90mmLS, Pentax 165mm f/2.8 various ND and filtration

Quote Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
    The original Ursa claimed 12 stops though I've heard that's only achievable if you shoot in raw.
    But it says 15 here https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa

Or did they just update it for the new one? Are they upgrading the original bigger URSA as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hague View Post
    Does anyone know if the original Ursa lived up to its claim of 15 stops? It appeared to be more like 13 from the videos I'ver seen (with skin tones that didn't look too great to my eye). And why doesn't Arri start claiming that the Alexa has 23 stops seeing that everyone is bloating their latitude these days (there's no chance it has more than Arri and Arri only claims 14.5)
    The CML group has published very real, repeatable tests with real exposure charts and generally shown that no camera can grab the full exposure range that they claim on paper. The trick is that the spec sheets rarely explain how they rate the exposure, what lenses were used, how much illumination, and so on. I'm sure the exposure range towards the bottom of the scale would rate differently than, say, a case where you had 10 times as much light. And that goes for everybody.

To me, what's great about the inexpensive cameras on the low pricing range is that this is a camera students can use to learn how to compose the image and how to light, and it's also great to use if you need to jump out of a plane or crash a car off a cliff. I wouldn't want to strap a fully-sized Alexa or a Red Epic onto anybody in either situation.

It looks to me like AJA is in trouble on their Cion camera, because they're kind of caught in the middle: not as cheap as the $5000 cameras, not quite the performer of the $30,000+ cameras. They're now offering a free trial of the camera for qualified users, so that tells me they're trying very hard to drum up business. This is a tough industry to compete in, particularly these days.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

The new 4.6K on the BM are entirely new sensors built from the ground up. I'm looking forward to their performance.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Has anyone been to the GLoptics booth? I would like to know if Nan has any plans on rehousing the 24mm sigma.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Epic-X #6700 (Aquila)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk.Attard View Post
    Has anyone been to the GLoptics booth? I would like to know if Nan has any plans on rehousing the 24mm sigma.
    I passed through there and in response to another person's question, I got the sense that GL Optics would most likely do a version all the Sigma Arts lenses.