Thread: New DJI Ronin M

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New DJI Ronin M 
    I want to get the opinion of those who went to NAB 2015 and got a chance to play with the new Ronin M and stripped down Red Epic Dragon. I have the 1st generation Ronin, but I am on the edge and ready to pull the trigger for the newer lighter gimbal. I was also interested in the Armour Man made by Tilta...but Phil and several others didn't like the design. I like to hear your thoughts regarding the new Ronin M
    Last edited by Tim Morris; 04-23-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    Tim Morris
    Director of Photography
    Creative Content Development Group
    Epic Dragon #07775 "Mike Lowry"

Tim,

I'm looking at the Ronin M myself due to it being way lighter. Mind sharing how the stripped down Epic Dragon was configured to fit?

@ jeffrey....not sure if I can provide any specifics...but I saw a video on youtube and one of the DJI reps mentioned flying a stripped down epic on the new Ronin.....I am thinking the side handle will have to come off. A buddy of mine did tell me about a new product that aerial media pros has for a side battery that might look promising. I want to see some raw footage however.
    http://www.aerialmediapros.com/store...-module/dp/778
    Tim Morris
    Director of Photography

If you want to use RED Epic / Scarlet - I would recommend sticking with the "normal" Ronin. You might be able to use extremely stripped down CF Epic in a limited lens configurations, but I would not recommend to do that. The Ronin-M was developed in response of all those who have purchased the Ronin for use with cameras smaller then the RED and were complaining about the size and weight. If you already have a Ronin - invest in some support solution instead...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morris View Post
    I want to get the opinion of those who went to NAB 2015 and got a chance to play with the new Ronin M and stripped down Red Epic Dragon. I have the 1st generation Ronin, but I am on the edge and ready to pull the trigger for the newer lighter gimbal. I was also interested in the Armour Man made by Tilta...but Phil and several others didn't like the design. I like to hear your thoughts regarding the new Ronin M
    Pretty sure it wasn't the design he disliked. He said all the exoskeleton rigs are silly to him. The Armor Man is very well built. Check this out from this post down: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1491818

This will get interesting.......I still want to see some footage with the red attached to the Ronin M. Specs say 8 lb pay load. Epic Dragon body without side handle........5lbs, Canon 24 LII 1.4lbs, battery and plate 2 lbs ......follow focus attached may be pushing it..........but I would still love to see how it responds.

As far as the exoskeleton.....tilta's armour man appears to be the best bang for your buck when you look at the price point. Action Runner and LAigle systems are a bit much as far as the price goes.
    Last edited by Tim Morris; 04-23-2015 at 06:39 AM.
    Tim Morris
    Director of Photography

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
    Yup, the gimbal with an exoskeleton is going to be very widely used. Not sure why so many are opposed to it.

Might be used "in a movie" but not on a movie...... you really don't need that much gak to get bad floatie shots.

I picked up the Ronin M with a Weapon CF body and the jetpack + Lipo batt. It was really easy to move with it. Much better than my Ronin and Epic X and small IDX 7S side mounted.

But that was a weapon CF. Not an EpicX Dragon.

If you want to fly a smaller camera, it seems like a great tool. But then I haven't checked out the Letus stuff.

M

REDuser Sponsor
    @Zeb, I see you're ready for round 2. I'll start by saying this thread doesn't belong to me but it clearly is titled Ronin-M, therefore the topic should be about the Ronin-M, its capabilities, and how it can benefit the good people on Reduser. Please take the product you endorse to the necessary thread.

To everybody else that's curious about the Ronin-M including @TimMorris, I'm here to answer any and all of your questions to the best of my ability. To start, during NAB, Clyde from Red was indeed waking around NAB South Hall carrying a Red Weapon with the new Ronin-M. Specs says 8 pounds, but we've pushed it to 10.

At the DJI booth, we had a Red Dragon on a Ronin-M mounted on an RC Car owned by Ron Hernandez from HostileRC able to travel 55+ MPH.

Using a side plate would benefit those who own a regular DJI Ronin, but if you want to power the Red, you need an external 4-cell battery for now. When I say for now, I'm not promising an immediate solution, but it means we are working on something to benefit the Red Users.
    --
    Willis Chung
    DIT/Phantom Tech - IATSE 600
    Drone Pilot - FAA 107 (Night-Waiver)

Peter, you've had the Ronin for quite sometime now? I remember the test with the deer in Japan, right?

After this time, you feel shooting with the Ronin is not practical alone. The weight takes a toll on the body rather quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    If you already have a Ronin - invest in some support solution instead...

Peter
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."