Thread: First Look - OSEE 15.6" 10-bit Production Monitor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 First Look - OSEE 15.6" 10-bit Production Monitor 
    So at NAB 2015 there were a host of things that caught my eye.

One of which was this pretty darn affordable 15.6" Production Monitor from OSEE that sports actual 10-bit 1080p IPS LCD with SDI and HDMI inputs as well as 3D LUT support. I was a very early order on these apparently and OSEE, plus I had a million and one questions about the monitor. Like "where's the field kit?!" Mainly that's my interest in this thing. I rent field monitor(s) on nearly every shoot I do and have been incredibly in decisive about which to purchase. However, with this 15.6" display being priced at about what a weekly rental costs me for a typical SDI kit it was a bit of a no brainer to buy.

OSEE was pretty awesome and actually sent me out a prototype of the general concept they are working on for their field kit and in conversation with a few folks who also are interested in this thing I know it's come up a few times. So I thought i'd show off quickly what they are working on.

I stress this isn't the production run on the field kit, but gets the general idea across on both the display and the portability.

Above is the kit itself. Front and back removable panels. Sturdy.

Open that up and you are greeted with a clip in magnetic sunshade/hood and the A/C Adapter.

Here's a quick look on the back of the panel. You'll notice on this prototype there's a AB-Lock where typically you'd install your VESA Mount. This is likely going to change and have the battery plate offset too the right-rear of the display so you can mount this whole thing on a stand. Outside of that you can see the various connections. I tested out HDMI and SDI. And everything was up to snuff.

A shot of my Epic Dragon and the display running real quick showing the approximate scale. Also you'll notice the buttons are "covered" so cleaning this after everybody touches it all day long should be a breeze.

The menu interface is pretty simple to navigate around. Didn't have any real hiccups. Tested out the Picture in Picture and dual SDI for a minute and that worked well.

And here's the display up and running on set last Friday. There are little feet that you can unscrew to tilt the display up on the bottom of this case. In this situation I decided to sand bag it for a more extreme tilt on our little production table. You can also see the tally light up top there which appeared to work fine. The contrast ratio isn't the best I've seen, but the calibration was spot on and that's really what I need this thing for.

Overall I'm pretty damn impressed with the value this display provides. Really easy on the brain when it comes to price to performance ratio. Once my full production model arrives I'll test it out much more and hopefully the finalized field kit will be available soon. For the time being I'll be using a spare VESA mount I have here to mount it to a stand for shoots. If this thing works out they are small enough for me to get two to have on set and use the SDI pass through. I also see potential of having the wireless setup "left in the box" for quick setups. I tested out the focus peaking a bit, dug that, I think it could be a hair more aggressive under soft light conditions. But certainly in bounds by my accounts. Waveform was there and responsive.

I've needed something to have on set for a while now to show Clients, Producers, and Directors what the heck is going on. In the last 5 years I don't even know how much I've spent on renting typical 17" culprits, but adding this compact 15.6" LCD to my kit really fits my compact needs for my kit. Really nice they are actually providing a field kit option that's rugged and fairly thought out too.

I didn't even know about OSEE prior to NAB and they have a host of other displays that I'll likely take a look at. I'm curious about their 25" OLED for grading purposes for sure.

So far, impressed. Especially at this price.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Great review Phil :)

Pricing?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Great review Phil :)

Pricing?
    Cheers Eric.

I paid $650:
    http://www.amazon.com/OSEE-LCM156-15.../dp/B00V400Z3W

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil, did you buy online as well and how long did it take?

It seems to go to their direct online store.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Thank you Phil,

Is the desk stand, and magnetic sunshade/hood included for $650,

and would you know the price for the 17" model?

Billy

anyone know what is the brightness on this monitor? Nits?
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

http://www.minefilms.com

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography / Drone Pilot /
    Writer / Director / VFX / Grading & Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by roryhinds View Post
    anyone know what is the brightness on this monitor? Nits?
    PDF says 210 cd/m

Nice. i will be keeping my eye out for when this ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Thanks Phil, did you buy online as well and how long did it take?
    They sent me the prototype because I was wicked hot for it, but it sounds like the production model arrives this week. So a week and a half. I do know this is a new shipment of displays coming in, so there's likely more.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    Thank you Phil,

Is the desk stand, and magnetic sunshade/hood included for $650.
    Nope. 100% not. That's the stuff that's still under development. When it's available you'll be able to order the kit with and without the monitor, which is basically why I pulled the trigger.

As for the 17". It's going to be pricier as it will be a slightly better screen it sounds like, but this is the "budget friendly" option. And that's something we haven't really seen before at this level of quality and performance.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Does it flip/flop for inverted steadi/gimbal etc ?
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products