Thread: Has anybody tried the Amimon Connex ? (Wireless 3300 ft HD multicast video link)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Has anybody tried the Amimon Connex ? (Wireless 3300 ft HD multicast video link) 
    I've been using a Paralinx arrow plus for a couple of years now, it's a great system but the range is sometimes a bit limited when using the Movi (even in handheld mode, no drone).

I can't afford an Arrow X or Tomahawk system right now, or the Teradek Bolt equivalent.

So the new Connex from Amimon looks like an interesting option :
    - 3300 feet line of sight range
    - Full HD (not clear if it's uncompressed or not though)
    - no latency
    - encrypted
    - up to 4 receivers
    - HDMI
    - works with 12V power (no need for these bloody USB adapters anymore, I hate these so much !)
    - reasonably compact form factor and weight

http://connex.amimon.com/

So the specs on the paper are pretty good, and so is the price (around 1600 USD for a 1:1 pack)

AFAIK, Paralinx and Teradek use chips from Amimon too...

But I haven't been able to find a lot of feedback about these units. Has anyone used them with their Epic, in a normal (no drone) situation, or with handheld gimbals like a Movi or Ronin ?

How reliable is it ? How does it behave when it loses signal, does it come back quickly ? Does it work consistently ? What about walls, how quickly does the range drop when you're inside a building with walls ?
    Any issues you noticed ? Does the multicast work well ? Would you recommend the system ?

Thanks !
    Nils.

The specs look great. It seems that they are marketing to the general public and industry at large and not to "film people", hence the lower price :-) this makes seance since the drone biz these days is going way beyond our industry. Connex sees much higher volume potential sales, hence the ability to offer lower prices. It would be good to hear about real world results.
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

Yes interested too, that range is crazy!
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I'm interested in size and weight.

Pat

According to their website the video is uncompressed and the air unit weighs 130 grams with dimensions of 102 x 63.6 x 15.6 mm.

I used one a couple of weeks ago. Tony Dean out here in Vancouver has one, and as far as I could tell it worked as advertised!... There is an almost imperceptible latency, so it's definitely not enough to cause a problem for practical use (and better than most other shorter-range wireless HD combos I've used previously). That said, I think we only ran about 150-200 metres... I think I posted some pics on my instagram....
    Last edited by Mike P.; 05-24-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dreesman View Post
    According to their website the video is uncompressed and the air unit weighs 130 grams with dimensions of 102 x 63.6 x 15.6 mm.
    Where did you see any mention of "uncompressed" on their website ? I think I remember someone mentioning "uncompressed" in a NAB vid, but I haven't been able to find anything on their website...
    Anyway, the fact that there is no latency seems to point in that direction, as compression usually tends to add some latency.

I would like to know if sound is also transmitted. I think "yes", but can't find the info.
    Epic dragon, scarlett, K5600, Dedolight
    Paris
    The frenchie doc

Haven't been able to find anything about sound, so I don't know... Curious about that too.

Just found the manual :
    http://www.globe-flight.de/mediafile...%2003-2015.pdf

There seem to be 2 bandwidth modes :
    - Optimized Quality (40 MHz): This is the default option. It provides the bestquality. This is the only option that can be used with 1080P60 video resolution.
    - Range Boost (20 MHz): Use this mode when a long range link is required (up to1 KM). This mode enables higher stability, but only supports lower resolutions onthe video link.

The 20 Mhz mode doesn't support 1080P @50Hz and 60 Hz.
    PsF is apparently not supported at all.

i have the answer (chat with support) : "no" but they have others products that transmit sound. I asked more infos.
    Epic dragon, scarlett, K5600, Dedolight
    Paris
    The frenchie doc