Thread: Help Choosing which OLPF!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Help Choosing which OLPF! 
    Just upgraded to Dragon and now I have the two OLPF to choose from. But switching filters isn't always possible in some scenarios so I'm asking those of you with plenty of experience these questions:

1. If a Dragon is stuck with the low light filter and suddenly needs to shoot outdoors in bright sunlight, what exactly am I risking here? Proper skin tones? Protected highlights? How bad will it be?

2. If a Dragon is stuck with the skin tone filter - and suddenly needs to shoot low light interiors - I get noisy blacks?

I guess I'm asking whether a user can use whatever filter they have - but what precautions and methods protect the image if the "wrong" filter is used? Can someone elaborate on what exactly to expect?

Many thanks!

Buy both and don't look back. Skintone OLPF - less orb smearing, better skintones, protected highlights. Low light - better performance in low light, still looks great, less protection in highlights.

Im also under impression...if you need to protect for cmos smear, lowlight could be easier...as its harder to under expose.

Maybe worthwhile to see what Probst did for Bad Blood. Interiors with slowmo? Lowlight. Exterior? Skintone.

Both are capable of amazing results. Best answer is test both...and find best ways each OLPF can serve your needs.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

If you have enough light shoot skin tone... if you do not have enough light or are shooting in very low light available shoot the low light OLPF.

There is about a stop's worth of difference between them.... If you believe the goal posts which I am faithful to.

If you are shooting interiors or low-light situations with the Skin-Tone OLPF, try to set the ISO at 250-500 and open up the iris of the lens a bit more to compensate. I rate Skin-Tone at 800 ISO only when I really need to, and then use D.E.B. in post if needed.

If you use the low-light OLPF outdoors in full sunlight, you just need to be a bit more careful with the highlights, as you did with the MX sensor. In severe overexposure, what you'll miss is the nice highlight roll off that you can get with the Skin-Tone OLPF.

You will be suprised how little practical difference there is. I put the LLO OPLF on a few months ago and have yet to swap it back. When I have a cosmetics TVC or a day on the beach I will swap back to the STH and it will probably stay there untill I really need that extra stop again. Don't sweat it.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by David Bourla View Post
    Just upgraded to Dragon and now I have the two OLPF to choose from. But switching filters isn't always possible in some scenarios so I'm asking those of you with plenty of experience these questions:

1. If a Dragon is stuck with the low light filter and suddenly needs to shoot outdoors in bright sunlight, what exactly am I risking here? Proper skin tones? Protected highlights? How bad will it be?

2. If a Dragon is stuck with the skin tone filter - and suddenly needs to shoot low light interiors - I get noisy blacks?

I guess I'm asking whether a user can use whatever filter they have - but what precautions and methods protect the image if the "wrong" filter is used? Can someone elaborate on what exactly to expect?

Many thanks!
    to me the lowlight is the best option if you have to pick one. As it lowers the noise floor and the colors are pretty darn good. Skintone might be a step better in terms of midtone colors but the difference is to me not worth the loss of details in the darks. But having both is nice, but far from a must have thing.

here is a bright right before magic hour frame with lowlight olpf with pretty wide DR... developed with all default settings. i.e 800iso, 5600k no tint no curves etc. To me that shows pretty good skinetones, and nice highlight roleoff and contrasty rich blacks with no noise.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/108703...2/17946580052/
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Thank you all for the input!!

If you only get one get the lowlight
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

If you get the STH OLPF you don't need to run IR filters with your NDs